    course, the information icon that was supposed to explain how to "fix" the
    failed installs... didn't work!

    I have no idea what to make of this. Anyone have any insights?

    Steve S, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Steve S

    Chris H. Guest

    Steve, depending on which version of Windows Update you're using, you should
    follow the troubleshooting information in the left pane of the site. There
    are two versions now, v5 which is normally used, and the new version 6 which
    includes not only Windows updates but some for other products like the
    Office family. If you have additional questions, I would check the
    microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup for additional information.

    Chris H., Jun 30, 2005

  3. Steve S

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I found the little hyperlink on the right of the Windows Update screen that
    suggested this Microsoft Update download (including microsoft Office update,
    etc.) and ran it without problems on a Tablet PC with Windows XP Tablet
    Edition 2005 and another computer with regular XP. Both found only a junk
    mail filter for Microsoft Outlook, which I had previously chosen not to
    download. Other updates were already current on both computers.

    Mickey Segal, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Steve S

    Steve S Guest

    Mickey: Thanks for your comment. Have you tried clicking on the history
    file (in the left pane)? If you have any red X's, can you click on them and
    get a diagnostic comment? Just wondering...

    Steve S, Jul 1, 2005
  5. Steve S

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Yes, there is something strange on the Tablet. Most updates are listed as
    Succeeded, but all the Feb 8 updates are listed as Failed, as are several
    others, and the XP Service Pack 2 update is listed as Cancelled. Clicking
    on the icon for more information initially failed due to the pop-up blocker,
    but after disabling it temporarily clicking the icon re-started Microsoft
    Update. Subsequently, clicking the icon gave generic advice such as trying
    again to reinstall the update.

    On my regular XP machine, all updates were listed as Succeeded, including
    all the ones reporting oddly on the Tablet.

    It sounds like the updates on the Tablet are not being reported properly.
    The XP2 update seems to be working fine on the Tablet - I can't vouch for
    the security upgrades. Maybe the Tablet versions have a different signature
    that is not being recognized properly.

    Mickey Segal, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Steve S

    Chris H. Guest

    Mickey, which version of Windows Update are you using? I've been testing
    the now-released v.6 site since the beginning, and have had no issues
    (except where expected) for several months. All current updates are showing
    on Auto Update, as they should. Have you opted into the new site version
    yet?

    You may want to report your issues to the microsoft.public.windowsupdate
    newsgroup where those who support that specific function will respond.

    Chris H., Jul 1, 2005
  7. Steve S

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Yes, I switched from Windows Update to Microsoft update as described in this
    thread.

    The problem appears specific to the Tablet. Others with both a Tablet and a
    regular XP computer should test if they have the same experiences of
    incorrect reports on the Tablet but correct reports on regular XP.

    Mickey Segal, Jul 1, 2005
  8. Steve S

    Chris H. Guest

    As I said, Mickey, I tested the new Microsoft Update for months, and never
    saw what you're seeing. However the windowsupdate newsgroup would be the
    place to submit the information and see what they say.

    Chris H., Jul 1, 2005
  9. Steve S

    Steve S Guest

    "Chris H." wrote:
    Chris & Mickey:

    ....I have tried to post about this twice on the WindowsUpdate newsgroup, but
    now, several hours later, neither of my posts have appeared. I'm assuming
    that they're just in the cue, waiting, but it certainly has been a long
    time...?!?

    Steve S, Jul 1, 2005
  10. Steve S

    Chris H. Guest

    Steve, the public newsgroups are primarily supported through volunteers,
    with a few exceptions where a member or members of certain product groups
    are active. There's no guarantee of a response, timely or otherwise, and I
    would think some people are heading off (in the U.S.) for a long weekend
    since the Fourth of July is Monday. Otherwise, I'd suggest you follow up
    through the Troubleshooting information on the update site. I believe there
    is even a contact address somewhere in the information.

    Chris H., Jul 1, 2005
  11. Steve S

    Steve S Guest

    Well, believe it or not, Microsoft Tech Support came through with a fix!!

    Apparently, the download folder got corrupted. Here's the text about the fix
    from the MS support center:

    "From the case log, I understand that Some updates failed to install after
    you recently updated Update software to Microsoft Update. If I have
    misunderstood your concern, please do not hesitate to correct me. We will
    work together to resolve this specific issue through the course of the case.

    After checking your attachment, I found the error 80240017. This error is
    most likely caused by the corrupted Windows Update folder. We can take the
    following steps to rename this folder to get this issue resolved.

    1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
    command in the opened window.

    net stop WuAuServ

    2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
    3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold.
    4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
    command in the opened window.

    net start WuAuServ

    Please let me know if the steps work at your earliest convenience."

    After performing the steps above, Microsoft Update re-downloaded the updates
    that had failed to install... and installed them.

    ALSO, the Update History no longer shows 37 other update installation
    failures! So, how about that?!?!??

    Steve S, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Steve S

    Chris H. Guest

    Good, they're the ones who deal with those issues more often. Glad it got
    settled for you.

    Chris H., Jul 10, 2005