Problems booting in OS X after booting in OS 9

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Cindy Murray, May 10, 2004.

  1. Cindy Murray

    Cindy Murray Guest

    BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron
    Multiscan E210 monitor

    I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means
    that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is
    daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs
    great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor
    goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the
    monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the
    monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM,
    everything starts back up and runs fine from there on out. I have to do
    this EVERY TIME I reboot from OS 9.

    I had this same problem when I was upgrading to OSX. I suspected it had
    something to do with the video card or the monitor. My husband insists
    that the video card is the standard card that shipped with the BW G3.

    Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or a known problem with this on
    the BW G3? Any help would be great. Post or email is fine.

    Cindy Murray, May 10, 2004

  2. Cindy Murray

    cssmict Guest

    hi cindy,

    have still the same problem on my mac:
    G3 bw, 384mb ram,PCI - scsi 2 - adaptec card (ADPT 2940U2B),
    osx 10.3.3 and os9.2.2 on a 10gb harddisk.

    the only way to get osx running is:
    press startbutton (or reset) and then
    immediately press and hold the command (apple) key
    and the "v" key

    waiting some seconds - the disk will be aktive - and
    now it boots osx.

    its a crux - i know - but the only way to start my G3

    i hope it works for you
    mict

    cssmict, May 11, 2004

  3. Cindy Murray

    Cindy Murray Guest

    Can anyone enlighten me on what this work-around might do? I hate
    implementing something without understanding it first.

    Cindy Murray, May 17, 2004