Problems Connecting Laptop to Home Stereo

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dylandavis, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. dylandavis

    dylandavis Guest

    Hello,

    I am seeking help on a problem I'm having when connecting my Dell
    Inspiron 9300 laptop to my stereo amplifier, a NAD C340.

    I went the cheap and simple route, buying a cable that hooks into my
    laptop's headphone port, with 2 RCA outputs that I connected to the
    "auxillary" input on my stereo receiver. When I do this, I get a lot
    of buzzing, and can barely hear anything playing on my computer. This
    happens even when all volume levels are turned up to the max. This
    confuses me because when I use this cable to hook up my mp3 player and
    walkman, the music plays through my stereo loudly and clearly.

    Can anyone tell me why I am able to get good sound results with my mp3,
    walkman, etc, but NOT through my laptop?

    I would really appreciate any advice that anyone could give.

    dylandavis, Mar 30, 2005

  2. dylandavis

    mike Guest

    What happens when you disconnect ALL other cables from the laptop,
    INCLUDING the AC adpater?
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 13" LCD for Mitac 6133 Samsung HT13X13-201
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, Mar 30, 2005

  3. dylandavis

    Good Man Guest

    do you get buzzing in your headphones when you go headphones-->laptop?

    Good Man, Mar 30, 2005
  4. dylandavis

    dylandavis Guest

    I still get buzzing when I disconnect all cables and run on battery
    power, and I don't get a buzz when I listen to the headphones.

    I think that I have overestimated the severity of the buzz in my post -
    it is not that loud, and I think that it is just distortion from
    turning up the volume very high, which I have to do in order to hear
    any sound at all from the stereo when my laptop is connected. I'm
    pretty sure that it is not a grounding issue, etc. The buzz is not
    bad.

    The real problem is the fact that, even when my laptop volume and the
    stereo volume are turned to the max, I can barely hear my music. And,
    as I stated before, I have no trouble when I hook up my mp3 player or
    walkman to my home stereo.

    Incidentally, when I plug regular headphones in to my laptop, it sounds
    great. Is this just a big mystery?

    Thanks for the responses so far. It's great to see people helping
    others! Any other input is still greatly appreciated.

    dylandavis, Mar 30, 2005
  5. dylandavis

    Quaoar Guest

    It's suprising (and I'm a little baffled) that there is an S-video
    output but no complementary audio output except the headphone port. I'm
    wondering if you go into the sounds control panel and change the speaker
    option you might be able to improve the output signal?. Is there a
    separate audio card control panel with adjustable power output level?
    You have checked that the microphone input is muted? Are you using the
    correct line-in on the amplifier? You might try a higher quality AR or
    Monster cable as a last resort - I know that AR audio cables are a big
    improvement over the typical thin generic audio cables that come
    standard with A/V equipment. Have you tried connecting the audio to
    your television to hear what happens there?

    Quaoar, Mar 31, 2005
  6. dylandavis

    dylandavis Guest

    Quaoar-

    You have given me many great suggestions. I, too, find it ridiculous
    that my computer has an S-video output, but the headphones port is the
    ONLY audio output. No seperate line out, etc.

    Anyway, great suggestions. I will try them all and report back. Many
    thanks!

    dylandavis, Mar 31, 2005
  7. dylandavis

    dylandavis Guest

    No, in fact it sounds great when I just plug my headphones in to my
    laptop. That's why I'm so baffled!

    dylandavis, Mar 31, 2005
  8. dylandavis

    Darwin Guest

    Hi,

    Sounds like the problem I have connecting my turn table to my stereo - in order to hear it properly, I have to run it through a pre-amp. Why you'd need to do this with a notebook is puzzling, though.

    Just my two bits.

    MP

[...]

    [comp.sys.laptops]

    Darwin, Mar 31, 2005
  9. dylandavis

    JHEM Guest

    Are you certain the audio cable you're using is a stereo cable? E.g., three
    conductors on the mini-phone plug?

    Are you certain that it's fully inserted? Some need to be pushed in until
    they "click". Also, the laptop's internal speakers will usually turn off
    when the plug is correctly inserted.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Mar 31, 2005
  10. dylandavis

    Notan Guest

    Another "Are you certain..."

    Are you certain you're using the correct amplifier input?

    Different inputs, *way* different results (i.e., impedance matching).

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 31, 2005
  11. dylandavis

    dxyzc Guest

    Did try adjusting the headphone volume from Windows? Another option is
    to get a SqueezeBox to connect to your stereo and install slim server on
    your laptop to stream music to it wirelessly.

    dxyzc, Apr 2, 2005
  12. Are you sure that the headphone jack plug is EXACTLY the same shape as
    the plug on the cable to the stereo unit. Sometimes the tip of the
    plug is slightly different and it makes poor contact. I use an
    extension lead (male headphone jackplug on one end and female
    headphone jackplug socket on the other) with the same type of cable
    you are trying to use. I sometimes get buzzing if the junction
    between the two cables isn't perfect. Try rotating the plug - does it
    help?

    rgds

    Richard

    Richard Henshall, Apr 6, 2005
  13. dylandavis

    ikenfixit Guest

    digital to analog may also be the trouble.. QUIT.

    ikenfixit, Apr 7, 2005
  14. An interesting discovery for me was that I experienced exactly this
    original problem at the weekend, using a different PSU for the laptop.
    The one that gave the buzzing had a three prong cloverleaf
    (mickey-mouse) mains connector, where the quiet one had a two prong
    (figure-of-eight) mains connector.

    Could this be the explanation - an earth loop?

    rgds

    Richard

    Richard Henshall, Apr 26, 2005
  15. dylandavis

    mike Guest

    yes,
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, Apr 26, 2005