Problems installing AGP graphics card

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Greg, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Here is my system:

    * Athlon XP 2000+ cpu (no overclocking)
    * MSI K7N2G-ILSR mobo (all mainboard drivers are current)
    ** 1GB RAM
    ** 2 x 80GB IDE HD
    ** 2 x IDE CD drives
    ** BIOS updated
    * Windows XP Pro (sp2 and all updates applied)

    I'm using the on-board graphics using the default BIOS settings. The
    system has been stable for over two years in this configuration.

    Recently, I got into digital photos and bought a new GeForce 5500 256MB

    AGP 4x/8x card to upgrade the graphics (I have already returned a new
    GeForce 5200 128MB card that had the same problem). My problem is that
    when the
    card is installed, the system is very unstable. It either reboots
    unexpectedly or completely freezes up (though there is no heat problem
    with CPU around 40C.) I have disabled the BIOS settings for AGP 8X and

    FastWrite, but have everything else set to normal.

    When I installed it, I first uninstalled the video drivers for the
    integrated graphics. Then I shut the PC down, installed the card, and
    restarted the PC. The BIOS recognised the new graphics card
    automatically and Windows came up OK. I installed the new video card
    drivers that I downloaded from Nvidia and things seemed to be OK. I
    restarted the system, but it would sometimes get an error during the
    reboot and restart or it would boot into Windows but restart right
    after login (my configuration says to restart on a system error). If I
    remove the card and go back to integrated graphics, the system runs
    fine. I've even reinstalled window xp from scratch with the card
    installed but no luck. The bottom line (what an overused cliche!) is
    that without the AGP card installed, the system is stable and runs
    fine. With the card installed, the system is very unstable and
    unusable.

    I've read and posted to other newsgroups, but have not gotten any
    response.

    Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance...

    Greg

    Greg, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Greg

    Folk Guest

    Possible power issue? Could you try disconnecting all non-essential
    items from the power supply to see if you get a more stable system?

    If that's a dead-end, have you tried using the Windows built-in
    graphics drivers? Maybe it's either driver related or some residue
    from your onboard graphics drivers. Nvidia also has a driver archive
    where you can try older drivers. Maybe something in the 70 series
    might work better.

    Folk, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Contacted the mfg who said it is probably a defect in the motherboard. A
    new power supply didn't help.

    Thanks anyway for all the help...

    Greg

    Greg, Dec 31, 2005