Problems installing deskjet 5150 win2k

Discussion in 'HP' started by cb135, Mar 16, 2007.

  1. cb135

    cb135 Guest

    All,

    In Win2k my deskjet 5150 printer installation proceeds as expected
    until it stops and a message appears, "Looking for New Hardware or New
    printer detected, please wait". It then hangs here forever. This
    issue is discussed here

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...uk&lc=en&dlc=en&product=304431&dlc=en&lang=en

    but following the steps doesn't resolve my problem. I know that it is
    something to do with a previous installation being cancelled before it
    could complete, but i don't know which magic registry entry and/or
    file i need to remove to get a full install. Does anyone know where
    the problem lies??

    If it helps, i've looked in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Enum/
    USBPRINT but it doesn't contain a directory starting with
    HPDeskjetXXXX

    Is there anything else i can try?

    cheers,

    col

    cb135, Mar 16, 2007

  2. cb135

    Colin Wilson Guest

    In Win2k my deskjet 5150 printer installation proceeds as expected
    Yes, and this worked for me - the reply dates back to 2003, and is
    probably the only accurate correspondence I ever received from an indian
    call centre !

    Good luck :)

    ------
    Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

    When attempting to reinstall the printer driver using USB connection,
    the 'Looking for new hardware' screen will open and the computer will
    fail to respond under the following conditions:

    * Attempting to install the printer driver after an unsuccessful
    installation.

    To resolve this error and install the driver successfully, a few keys
    that may not have been removed by the uninstaller need to be deleted
    from the Registry of the computer.

    To remove the necessary keys from the Registry, leave the USB cable
    connected and follow the instructions below.

    1. Click Start and click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type: REGEDIT
    3. Click Registry at the top and then click 'Export Registry File'.
    The Export Registry File dialog box will open.
    4. Save the Registry files to the computer hard drive (C:).
    5. In the File name box, type: RegistryBackup
    6. In the 'Export range' section, click All.
    7. Click Save. A backup copy of the Registry will be created and
    saved.
    8. Click the (+) to the left of the following list of items in the
    Registry to open them.

    a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    b. Software
    c. Hewlett-Packard
    d. Deskjet

    9. Click PlugNPlay.
    10. Click Edit and then click Delete.
    11. Click the (-) to the left of 'Software'.
    12. Click the (+) to the left of the following list of items in the
    Registry to open them.

    a. Enum
    b. USBPRINT

    13. Click hpdeskjet_5X00. (5X00 represents your printer model).
    14. Click Edit and then click Delete.
    15. Click plus (+) to the left of 'USB'.
    16. Click VID_03F0&PID_620X. (The value of X varies).
    17. Click Edit and then click Delete.
    18. Close the Registry Editor, unplug the USB cable, and restart the
    computer.

    Proceed with the installation of the printer driver from the software CD
    with the hardware first method.

    Follow the steps given below to install the printer driver using the
    hardware first method.

    1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Connect the printer cable (USB or parallel) directly to the
    computer.
    3. Restart the computer. The Add New Hardware Wizard will appear.
    4. Insert the printer CD in the CD drive. Cancel any program that
    automatically starts.

    NOTE: To prevent installation program on the CD from
    automatically starting up, hold the left "Shift" key while
    inserting the CD and continue to hold it for about 20
    seconds.

    5. On the "Add New Hardware Wizard" screen, click Next.
    6. Select "Search for the best driver for your device (Recommended)".
    7. Click Next.
    8. In the dialog box, select CD-ROM drive. Ensure no other options
    are checked.
    9. Click Next.
    10. In the next window, under Location of driver, select the following
    path:

    D:\ENU\DRIVERS\WIN9X_ME

    where D is the CD-ROM drive.

    11. The "*.inf" will be listed. Select the file and then click Next.
    (If there is more than one file listed, select the one on the top).
    12. Click Finish in the dialog box that confirms that, Windows has
    finished installing the software that your new hardware device
    requires.

    CAUTION: Do NOT cancel the installation.

    13. In the Congratulations! dialog box appears, select "Yes" or "No" to
    print a test page and then click Next.
    14. Click Finish to complete the installation process.

    This should resolve the issue. If you need further assistance, please

    Sincerely,
    Girish
    HP Total Care
    ------