Problems mixing dual and single sided DIMMS ??

Discussion in 'Asus' started by zack, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. zack

    zack Guest

    I've been getting some weird stability issues.. When I start up, I get
    a different error almost every time.. Blue screens saying
    irql_not_less_or_equal, page_fault_in_non_paged_area,
    no_more_irp_stacks, etc.. I even got an error saying ntfs.sys was missing!!

    I have two 128MB PC100 modules.. one is single sided, and one is double
    sided. I think the double sided one has 2 banks of 64mb.

    The weird part is, I can install windows XP just fine. and it runs
    without errors startng up and rebooting for about 24 hours.. Then is
    when the errors start appearing.. I might get one or two intermittent
    errors, then after a while I start getting errors every time I start
    up.. Until I pull one of the memory modules.. The errors then go away..

    It's the same story with 2 different motherboards.. An Asus CUV4X, and
    Soyo SY-6BA+IV with same hardware. I'm trying to figure out whether
    it's the memory, or another hardware problem, because I've had the same
    type of issues with a Matrox video card in a totally different
    computer.. I got same type of errors until I pulled the video card and
    used the onboard video.. This card doesn't seem to be causing any
    problems with these motherboards though.. Not yet at least.

    zack, Oct 21, 2003

  2. zack

    zack Guest

    Another thing.. I can run Memtest86 on this thing for days with 0 errors..

    zack, Oct 21, 2003

  3. zack

    R_Supp Guest

    Memory problems do not necessarily mean dodgy ram. It could just be that
    your mobo doesn`t like it.
    I have run some strange combos of ram on Win 98SE with no problems but Win
    XPee will not tolerate less than perfect ram.
    Usually XPee will not copy to hard drive perfectly if the ram isn`t 100%
    good.

    R_Supp, Oct 22, 2003
  4. zack

    Ed Guest

    I had one of my hard drive partitions disappear in WinXP with RAM that I
    later found out wasn't 100% stable at their rated timings. I was able to
    read and write to the partition in DOS though. ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Oct 22, 2003
  5. zack

    6bal Guest

    I hope this isn't how you test RAM.

    6bal, Oct 22, 2003
  6. zack

    Arnie Berger Guest

    If memtest passes then I would be skeptical that you have a memory
    problem. I'm not saying that it is impossible, just less likely. You
    might want to explore memtest86 some more and see if it has tests that
    actually test the memory in burst mode as well as random access mode.
    I vaguely remember that it was an option.

    Of course, all of these failures can be explained by bad hardware,
    such as a bad video card, or a faulty driver, or other things besides
    memory. That's why I'm skeptical of a memory fault.

    Can you run your system reliably if you run windows in safe mode? If
    you can then you probably have a driver problem.

    ab

    Arnie Berger, Oct 23, 2003
  7. zack

    zack Guest

    I was skeptical of mem fault at first too, but I haven't had a single
    crash in a few days when not using these 2 memory modules together..
    They are both very stable alone, but when put together is when the
    crashes occur. I also tried a 64mb module. It ran fine paired with
    the other single sided module, but when mixed with the double sided
    module, I started getting more crashes.

    zack, Oct 23, 2003