problems w ide/sata on 965p-ds3

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by acje99, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. acje99

    acje99

    Just had a new pc system build by a local shop that has built 2 other computers for me with no problems.

    Motherboard: Ga-965p-ds3 now with F7 bios
    Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4 ghz
    Memory: Kingston 2gig of 667
    Western Digitial 320gig se16 sata 2 connected to sata port 0
    MSI PCIx16 7600gt video card
    Liteon 16x dual layer DVD +- RW burner SHM-165H6S on IDE port
    450 watt power supply
    win xp pro w sp2
    floppy
    and genereic pci modem as backup for DSL

    The problem is that as delivered the DVD would only read from the drive. Would not write or format cds or dvds. Using the INCD software.

    Took back to the store and techs flashed the BIOS from f6 to f7. That allowed cds to work properly, but still can not format a dvd. If you format the dvd on another system, then you can write or rewrite to it. Techs also said they replaced the motherboard and had the same "issue".

    Techs then put in a promise pci ide card and connected drive to it, and drive will operate properly. Techs said "it's fixed", I said no way I'm going to accept a motherboard with a bad ide port. Tech says the port is not bad, it is a BIOS issue, and it "might" be fixed in the next BIOS update. That could be today or a month from now.

    I find it hard to believe that Gigabyte could put out a board with this kind of problem. Anybody else having this problem?

    Is it possible that the techs have installed the drivers needed in the wrong order, or forgot to install something? I have read that you have to install the gigabyte Gsata drivers during the windows install for it to work properly. (Using F6 during install ?) Are these drivers needed for the ide to work?

    I would like to know what exact procedure someone with this board used to get this to work properly.

    Have used Gigabyte board for years without any problems.

    Any thoughts, questions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] or post to the this board

    Frustated in Fort Worth
    Stephen

    acje99, Oct 23, 2006