problems with file(1); ERROR: line 17801: softmagic.c, 481: format`, capture length %d)' does not ma

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Mathias KÅ‘rber, May 6, 2014.

  1. I often get this issue with the 'file' command in Mountain Lion.

    Is anyone seeing the same?

    Is there a solution (maybe a new magic file to download somewhere)?
    I tried renaming /opt/local/share/misc/magic.mgc to
    /opt/local/share/misc/magic.mgc to have it re-processed from the source
    file, but
    no luck, the resulting file is just the same.

    There is a comment in the file(1) man page:
    > The magic file entries have been collected from various sources, mainly USENET, and contributed by various authors. Christos Zoulas (address below) will collect additional or corrected magic file entries. A consolida-
    > tion of magic file entries will be distributed periodically.
    >
    > The order of entries in the magic file is significant. Depending on what system you are using, the order that they are put together may be incorrect. If your old file command uses a magic file, keep the old magic file
    > around for comparison purposes (rename it to /opt/local/share/misc/magic.orig).

    133.log: ASCII text, with very long lines, with CRLF, CR, LF
    line terminators, with escape sequences, with overstriking
    133ipv6.cap: ERROR: line 17801: softmagic.c, 481: format `, capture
    length %d)' does not match with `%lu'
    133ipv6.cap.txt: ERROR: line 17801: softmagic.c, 481: format `, capture
    length %d)' does not match with `%lu'

    anyone have a clue?

    thanks
    Mathias

    Mathias KÅ‘rber, May 6, 2014

  2. Re: problems with file(1); ERROR: line 17801: softmagic.c, 481: format `, capture length %d)' does not match with `%lu'

    In article <>,
    Mathias K‘rber <> wrote:

    > I often get this issue with the 'file' command in Mountain Lion.
    >
    > Is anyone seeing the same?
    >
    > Is there a solution (maybe a new magic file to download somewhere)?
    > I tried renaming /opt/local/share/misc/magic.mgc to
    > /opt/local/share/misc/magic.mgc to have it re-processed from the source
    > file, but
    > no luck, the resulting file is just the same.
    >
    > There is a comment in the file(1) man page:
    > > The magic file entries have been collected from various sources, mainly
    > > USENET, and contributed by various authors. Christos Zoulas (address
    > > below) will collect additional or corrected magic file entries. A
    > > consolida-
    > > tion of magic file entries will be distributed periodically.
    > >
    > > The order of entries in the magic file is significant. Depending on
    > > what system you are using, the order that they are put together may be
    > > incorrect. If your old file command uses a magic file, keep the old
    > > magic file
    > > around for comparison purposes (rename it to
    > > /opt/local/share/misc/magic.orig).

    > 133.log: ASCII text, with very long lines, with CRLF, CR, LF
    > line terminators, with escape sequences, with overstriking
    > 133ipv6.cap: ERROR: line 17801: softmagic.c, 481: format `, capture
    > length %d)' does not match with `%lu'
    > 133ipv6.cap.txt: ERROR: line 17801: softmagic.c, 481: format `, capture
    > length %d)' does not match with `%lu'
    >
    > anyone have a clue?
    >
    > thanks
    > Mathias

    /opt is not used by MacOS software. It's proably part of either MacPort
    or Homebrew. In which case you should contact them to find out what the
    fix is.

    Michael Vilain, May 6, 2014