Problems with GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB and ABIT BE6II v2.0

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Vincent Poy, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Greetings:

    On my system on a ABIT BE6IIv2.0 Pentium III 1Ghz 133FSB Motherboard using
    the Intel 440BX chipset and my display being a SGI (Silicon Graphics Inc)
    17.3" 1600x1024 16:10 60hz LCD display via DVI. I had no issues with a PNY
    Verto GeForce3 Ti500 64MB. However, with the BFG Technologies Asylum
    GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB, what appears to happens is that everything from
    the BIOS Power on self testing, bios setup, and DOS would have the text
    flickering and blury with streaks between the characters as well as on the
    Award BIOS main screen where the Energy Star logo is, part of the yellow on
    the right side is on the left side of the screen. The screen is running at
    1600x1024 at 63.36Hz. The problem seems to occur with everything before
    the Windows XP logo since everything after that is fine. I'm not sure what
    the AGP version on the Intel 440BX chipset is but the GeForce3 Ti500
    requires a AGP 2.0 port and I did have some issues initially which was
    fixed with a newer version of Nvidia firmware for the video card. Any help
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    the board has AGP 1.x, not 2.0 or higher. can't say that the AGP revision
    is what the issue is though. you have a decent power supply? also, keep in
    mind that with that board running a 133 FSB cpu, that the AGP bus is
    overclocked. not saying the video card can't do that, just pointing it out.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 113,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Hmmm, so it is AGP 1.x? I always thought even the GF3Ti500 required
    atleast AGP 2.0. I have a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 450ATX which
    should be decent since the thing is expensive as we all know. I'm going to
    be moving up to a P4-3.2Ghz platform soon anyways but just wanted to know
    what could actually cause the problem. I'm just wondering if it could be a
    issue where PNY which is basically relabeled MSI has better boards than BFG
    which was VisionTek. Yeah, I remembered about the AGP running at 100Mhz
    instead of the normal 66Mhz but if something wasn't working, shouldn't it
    break inside windows and not in the text mode portion of the machine?
    Thanks TomG for the quick reply like always. Has Richard or anyone
    released any newer modified BIOSes with a newer HPT? I took the GeForceFX
    5900 Ultra 256MB out because before I had my Adaptec AHA2940UW in PCI 1
    which the GF FX card now takes away so PCI 2 had my Intel Gigabit NIC and
    PCI 3 was empty and PCI 4 had my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex. The
    only issue is that as we know, PCI 3 can't be used as it's shared with the
    HPT370 and the same with PCI5. PCI 4 and 2 shares the same resources so
    when I moved the Intel NIC to PCI 3, it failed in the POST stage as the
    Intel NIC BootROM didn't come up, did the same thing in 5. With the
    soundcard on PCI 3 or 5, the card worked but the firewire port was detected
    in Windows but none of my firewire devices were detected so it only worked
    in 4. The Adaptec SCSI controller wouldn't work in any of the other slots
    except 4 as it would failed probing any SCSI devices during POST. I just
    hope the new mobos don't have the same issue or is it only HighPoint's
    implemention of RAID that doesn't allow sharing with anything else?

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    whew! long paragraph!

    I have not seen Richard in the group in a little while. I think there are
    bios sets on my server that include all of the newer Highpoint bios inserts
    but if not and there is a request, then I can create one.

    you cannot use, as you have discovered, any bus mastering device in slot 5
    on your board while the Highpoint controller is enabled.

    TomG, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Vincent Poy

    TomJ. Guest

    did you ever go to the Intel site and update the 440BX ? I used to run a BF-6
    and updated.

    TomJ., Jul 14, 2003
  6. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    If I set the FSB to 100, then the CPU will be slower back to 750Mhz instead
    of 1Ghz. The other thing is isn't AGP 1.0 3.3volts? I thought the voltage
    for AGP 2.0 and 3.0 were different.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 15, 2003
  7. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Looks like you do have a 2.34 version now. It wasn't there when I last
    checked a bit over a month ago. Dunno if it will do anything though. I'm
    using Richard's Z72C with the 2.32 I think. It seems like both PCI slot 3
    and slot 5 has the same issue. Is Highpoint the only one with this issue
    of not able to share bus mastering devices or do the new P4 i875P
    motherboards that has the Promise or Silicon Image Raid have the same
    issues?

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Vincent Poy

    John Lewis Guest

    Ummmmm...another possible reason for your problems........

    I believe that the Be6-II V2.0 only supports 3.3Volt AGP 1x and 2x.
    Check the motherboard manual specification page.

    Hopefully, the GF Fx 5900 is dual 1.5/3.3volt AGP. Many of the latest
    AGP boards are 1.5 volt only. Check the GF Fx5900 AGP specs.

    Using a 1.5volt-only AGP board in a 3.3V only AGP socket will court
    irreversible damage of either the video board or the motherboard
    or BOTH and/or result in flaky operation.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 15, 2003
  9. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    the whole point about setting the FSB back was just to test and see if the
    video card acted any different when the AGP bus was no longer overclocked.

    TomG, Jul 15, 2003
  10. Vincent Poy

    BigBadger Guest

    As Tom said, I suggested this as a way to check if it was a AGP overclocking
    problem....By all means mess about with other stuff untill you are blue in
    the face, but personnaly if I had a problem I would make sure everything was
    running within spec before I started to look for other causes.

    BigBadger, Jul 17, 2003
  11. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    (John Lewis) wrote in
    That was what I can't find is the voltage of the AGP since I can't find
    it anywhere.
    All the GF FX 5900 Ultra boards are manufactured by Nvidia for Quality
    Control purposes.
    I couldn't find the specs anywhere on the voltage requirement but wouldn't
    the board not work in Windows too if this was the case?
    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 19, 2003
  12. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    I tried putting my NIC in slot 3 and the NIC's Bootrom doesn't come up
    during POST so it's conflicting. It's a Intel Gigabit PCI NIC. Richard's
    Z72C is 2.32 but I updated to 234 BIOS anyways from your site with 2.34
    drivers since might as well make sure the board has the latest stuff if I
    needed it later.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 19, 2003
  13. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    True. But due to the not being able to use PCI1, I just put my GF3Ti500
    back in instead. I'll leave the GF FX 5900 Ultra when the Zalman 7000-Cu
    HSF arrives for the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 19, 2003
  14. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Good point though. Sorry BigBadger, I guess I'll just use the GF FX on the
    new system when I upgrade it sometime next week since even if this card
    works fine in this motherboard, either my SCSI devices or my firewire
    devices will not be working.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 19, 2003
  15. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Got a question, anyone know if the BE6II v2.0 supports I/O APIC and the
    other question is, SMART monitoring software in Windows thinks Smart is
    disabled because the BIOS doesn't seem to have a setting for Smart, is
    there a way to get SMART to work for HDD's? Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 19, 2003
  16. Vincent Poy

    John Lewis Guest

    See the BE6-II manual, section 1-2. Says clearly AGP 1x and 2x mode
    3.3volt............

    ( The BE6-II V2.0 just uses the HPT370 instead of the
    HPT366............. )

    Maybe, maybe not...............better phone nVidia Technical support
    and ask whether the FX5900 will safely/properly work in a 3.3v AGP 1x
    or 2x socket. Could be quietly melting down..........

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 19, 2003
  17. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    (John Lewis) wrote in
    Found that earlier but the NVidia site and BFG doesn't list what the
    voltage is for the GeForceFX 5900 Ultra.
    Nvidia doesn't provide support to end-users though from what I remembered.
    I know AGP 2.0 is the minimum requirement but the voltage specs are not
    listed anywhere.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 19, 2003
  18. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    why do you need the NIC boot rom? are you trying to boot off your LAN?
    chances are, one of the other ROM's is stepping on the NIC as we have
    sometimes seen with certain AGP cards installed. check also for the USB
    support being set to BIOS as that will frequently stop certain ROM's from
    showing, including the Highpoint ROM. Set USB support to OS.

    TomG, Jul 19, 2003
  19. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    no one says that you *cannot* use slot 1. it is just recommended that you
    keep that for last and use other slots first. also, high bandwidth devices
    in slot one may experience issues.

    TomG, Jul 19, 2003
  20. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    APIC is not supported on the BE6-II boards. that did not come along until
    later chipsets. I was able to get Motherboard Monitor to see SMART
    monitoring with a BE6-II.

    TomG, Jul 19, 2003