    Motherboard Monitor, never knew it supported SMART monitoring.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    ah! space considerations... I see.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 113,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    well, I cannot say that *all* current mobo's support APIC but the BE7 and
    the BD7-II as well as the IS7/IC7 series do.

    TomG, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Yep, ever since the FX5800, they started requiring both the AGP and the PCI
    slot underneath it. I only went Nvidia because all my machines are Nvidia
    so it makes updating drivers easier in a way. This is the same card that I
    have since apparently the 5900 series boards are all manufactured by Nvidia
    unlike earlier models and the companies just stick their names on it.
    http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/msi_geforce_fx5900u_vtd256_review/de
    fault.asp

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    That's true. I think it's only in the newer chipsets but not sure which
    was the first Intel chipset that supported it. I couldn't get SMART to
    work from Motherboard Monitor since it keeps saying SMART is disabled. My
    HDD is connected to the HPT370 in non-RAID mode though so maybe using the
    Intel chipset's IDE Controller, the SMART would work. It's not that
    important since it seems when HD's die, they die even when SMART says it's
    okay. Atleast that's been the way my IBM TravelStar notebook HDD's have
    been.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    TomG, I thought I might as well ask you this since you're answers have
    always been the ones that I can trust. I was wondering assuming I am
    currently running my system in non-RAID, can I just add a 2nd HD and then
    mirror the first one without destroying what's on the drive already? So in
    other words, I want the 2nd HD when setup to just mirror all the stuff on
    the first drive already, is this possible? Thanks like always. :)

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    I have heard of problems with that approach but I have also heard of
    successes. You *should* be able to create a mirror and have the bios copy
    all of the existing data over to the mirror drive. however, it would pay to
    have a backup in the event that you run into issues.

    TomG, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    my experience is that SMART does not work across the Highpoint since the
    controller is treated as a SCSI controller.

    TomG, Jul 23, 2003
  9. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Oh, that would explain it then. =)

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Aug 10, 2003
  10. Vincent Poy

    Vincent Poy Guest

    Hmm, so RAID1 is the one I want right? I tried a different approach by
    putting two drives on the RAID controller and then using DriveImage 7 to
    image the existing drive to the RAID1 pair and it works but I can't delete
    the entire partition on the RAID1 pair for some reason. I'm still trying
    to figure out how RAID0+1 works. Does it simply do the same thing as RAID1
    except it just reads the data on both of them. I wonder what happens with
    RAID1 or RAID0+1 if like one of the drives was dying and had bad clusters,
    would it copy the bad data to the other drive too?

    Cheers,
    Vince

    Vincent Poy, Aug 10, 2003
  11. Vincent Poy

    TomG Guest

    Raid 0+1 is supposed to benefit from both the speed of raid 0 and the extra
    data security of raid 1. it requires 4 hard drives which are first made
    into two raid 0 pairs and then mirrored together to form the raid 0+1. I
    can't speak specifically as to how the bios handles the situation when one
    of the drives has a bad sector but I am sure that it has to be designed in
    somehow.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified