Problems with HP DVD Re-writer Please help

Discussion in 'HP' started by James, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi,
    A few weeks ago I was able to alter the write speed to my H.P.
    DVD Re-Writer by using the properties and settings button on Windows
    Media Player. I could set it to Fastest possible down to X2. Yesterday
    when trying to burn and Audio CD this button was grayed out. I have
    also adjusted it using properties on the drive itself in My Computer
    and can no longer do this.
    Any Ideas on what could be causing this problem. I also use Sonic
    Record Now Software that came with my machine and this has never had
    an option to alter the write speed.
    I can find nothing on the MS Knowledge base about this.

    I was told this might be a Hardware Problem so I bought an external
    Iomega CD/RW 52 32 52. This also will not allow me to alter the write
    speed with its own software on or WMP. I tried the drive on my W98se
    machine and I can alter the write speed on this drive when connected
    to this machine.
    About ASPI
    Does ASPI come as standard with XP or is it added with other burning
    software. XP has IMAPI for burning ??????. I have an ASPI Layer on my
    machine which seems to be 3 Files Adaptec 4.7 and 1 file 4.6. The
    check up program says it is installed and working correctly. I also
    seem to have Microstaff ASPI installed which came with FinePix Digital
    Camera software. I have tried uninstall on these and system restores
    to a time when I was able to alter my write speed but still no luck.
    I burn Audio CD's and find anything faster than X4 can result in
    errors so this is why I need to adjust the write speed

    Another problem

    Whenever I try to produce a music Cd on the Iomega Drive Using
    Hotburn Pro Software which came with it on the simulate section it
    gets to the end and produces a Lead-in Size Error and ejects the disc
    before it can burn.
    Iomega support don't seem to know the answer to this one and emailed
    me the support line number which in the USA. I am in the U.K. Some
    use. I don't even know what EST means which is when I am supposed to
    phone them

    Any Ideas or suggestions gratefully received and appreciated

    Thanks and Regards
    James

    James, Sep 26, 2004

  2. James

    craigm Guest

    James,

    First, the easy one.

    EST is Eastern Standard Time, or the time on the east coast of the US.

    Have you changed the brand or type of the blank CDs you are using? This may
    be part of the problem.

    Have you tried Nero Burning software to burn your discs? It can be
    downloaded free from www.ahead.de for a trial version. It allows you to set
    the burn speed within the application.

    Have you installed packet writing/DLA software for rewritable disks
    recently?

    More questions than answers unfortunately, but it may help someone else give
    the final answer.

    Let us know what you find out.

    craigm

    craigm, Sep 26, 2004

  3. James

    James Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried different brands of CD and it makes no difference.
    I will give Nero a try thanks for the link
    I haven't installed any other software of the kind you mentioned.
    The worst aspect is I can find nothing related to any of the above
    problems on Google group or web search apart from one on the lead in
    error which seems to be in Japanese and a couple relating to the same
    problem with Linux OS. Not XP. Normally you can find quite a number of
    people who have the same problems by doing a search.
    This is the first time I have had a problem with this machine that I
    cannot fix or find a reason for. Looks like I am going to have to do
    an HP Destructive System Recovery.
    Thanks again for the reply much appreciated

    Thanks and Regards
    James

    James, Sep 27, 2004