Problems with NVIDIA grafic driver and Windows 7 x64

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Dr. Heiko Muenkel, Sep 20, 2011.

  1. Hi,

    I've a PC with a GeForce GT 420 card under Windows 7 (64 Bit version).
    The graphic driver version is 8.17.12.8026 from the 03.08.2011 (8/3/11)
    the name of the downloaded file was
    280.26-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe.

    I've some problems on my PC, which may be caused by the graphic driver:

    The first problem is, that I can't display images with the standard
    Windows 7 program - in German it is called "Vorschau" (maybe Preview in
    english). Instead of displaying the image only the text "Ladevorgang..."

    The second one is, that in the NVIDIA control program (NVIDIA
    Systemsteuerung) the rotating 3D NVIDIA icon will not be shown. The
    window is blank. On a German system you can find this icon under
    "3D-Einstellungen", "Bildeinstellungen mit Vorschau anpassen" - maybe on
    an english system under something like "3D Configuration", "Changing
    display settings with preview".

    3. Until yesterday the Windows Media Center started with an error
    message. This message contained the info, that the memory of the
    graphic card was lower than 64MB - which can't be true. But at the
    moment the media center is starting without any problems.

    The Direct X diagnose tool dxdiag displays no problems.

    I'm able to start windows 7 not only native but also virtual in
    VirtualBox under Linux. In this case it uses another graphic driver and
    none of the described problems can be discovered - the second problem
    can't be tested in this case.

    Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with the system?

    Thanks a lot,

    Heiko

    Dr. Heiko Muenkel, Sep 20, 2011

  2. Dr. Heiko Muenkel

    Michael Guest

    Did you completely deinstall the old graphics driver before installing
    the new graphics driver?

    Not doing so may cause a lot of problems with Nvidia drivers.

    Michael, Sep 20, 2011

  3. Am 20.09.2011 17:10, schrieb Michael:
    Not at the first time. I've tried at first some other driver versions,
    older ones (also with another graphic card) and the latest beta version.
    These versions I've installed without completly deinstalling.

    But after that I've found an interesting hint in the internet together
    with a link to a special driver deinstallation program. I've used it
    before I've reinstalled the latest released driver version 280.26. But
    this changed nothing.

    Do you know if NVIDA is using OpenGL or DirectX for the rotating icon?

    Dr. Heiko Muenkel, Sep 20, 2011
  4. Dr. Heiko Muenkel

    Michael Guest

    Am 9/20/2011 5:56 PM, schrieb Dr. Heiko Muenkel:

    I have no idea.
    Did you read
    http://de.download.nvidia.com/Windows/280.26/280.26-NVIDIA-Control-Panel-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf

    especially that part: "Note: For Windows Vista/Windows 7 – Several
    features are currently under development and are not yet supported in
    the NVIDIA Control Panel. Consult the release notes for the latest list
    of unsupported
    features."

    Michael, Sep 20, 2011
  5. Am 20.09.2011 19:29, schrieb Michael:
    Thanks for the link. I've checked it now, but I've found nothing, which
    in my opinion belongs to my problem. And I've seen another Windows Vista
    7 64 Bit PC with an older NVIDIA graphic card and an older NVIDIA
    driver, which works witout any problems.

    But there's another misterious thing, I've on my computer. The program
    dxdiag shows DirectX 11 as DirectX version - and I think that Windows 7
    has included always this version - but the nvidia control programm shows
    the line "Microdoft DirectX 10.0 (6.1.7600.16385)" under "Performance",
    "View system information".

    Does anyone else see this difference on his system?

    Regards,

    Heiko

    Dr. Heiko Muenkel, Sep 21, 2011
  6. Dr. Heiko Muenkel

    Peter Dassow Guest

    Your GT 420 card is not capable to support DX11 (reason: hardware), only
    DX10. So this might be the reason nvidia control panel shows DX10, and
    parts of Windows 7 shows DX11, because Windows 7 started with DX11 support.

    Regards
    Peter

    Peter Dassow, Sep 27, 2011