Problems with RAID 0 on GA-7VT600 1394

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Guest, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 motherboard + Athlon 2600 XP CPU. The hard
    drives are one Seagate 160gig on the primary IDE channel and two 80gig
    Seagate 7200.7 Sata drives configured as RAID 0 on the motherboards Sata
    connectors. The motherboard's RAID function is controlled by the
    Southbridge : VIA 8237 chipset.

    I am not sure if one of the RAID drives is faulty or if the the problem is
    with the controller(or software). I had recently ran a defrag program,
    'PerfectDisk 6', and after doing so, found that I had problems with my
    system freezing up for a time whilst it tried to read the data on the RAID
    drives. Eventually, the RAID setup became in accessable. I deleted the
    RAID drives using the VIA RAID configuration software and then using the
    same software re-enabled the drives. The drives were also enabled as a
    single partition in using WinXP's 'Performance and Maintenace' in 'Control
    Panel'. There have been a couple of times over the past week where this
    problem has occurred again after trying to access data.

    It seems that since running the defrag program it has stuffed the drives to
    work efficiently together. I have also run CHKDSK to see if there are
    errors on either of the drives and all appears ok. Also, when I have
    checked the VIA RAID Tool software it reports that both drives are working
    harmoniously together. Although, I have backups etc (I want to use the
    RAID for video editing, I am a little nervous that this setup is a bit
    unreliable. I have uninstalled PerfectDisk and now have Diskeeper 8
    running. After running this defrag program a couple of times there were
    initial hicups with the RAID setup when data again became inaccessable.
    After deleting and reinstalling the RAID configuration (via software) a
    couple of times, the RAID setup now appears to be working ok (fingers
    crossed).

    I have aanother computer with a couple of 120gig drives configured as RAID
    0. This setup is on an Asus P4C800E Deluxe board with a Promise RAID
    controller. As yet I have not experienced any problems with that setup.

    I am wondering if the VIA RAID controller on the Gigabyte board is a bit
    flakey. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or some suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Shane

    Guest, Apr 30, 2004