    on and off for several times until the system will boot by the power
    switch.

    I hope someone has an idea...

    Mack, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Mack

    Ian Hastie Guest

    In my computer I can certainly hear the hard disc starting up just before
    it boots. I think it is normal for this board, but I'm not so sure it is
    a good idea. Power saving is one thing , but this is silly.
    Have you got speakers connected to the on board sound output? If so do
    you get any kind of error message? It certainly seems that something is
    locking up. Now, as you why, that's another matter. One thing though, it
    is possible to force the power off by holding the switch for about five
    seconds.

    Ian Hastie, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Mack

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    sounds like an inadequate power supply to me.
    what is your current brand and rating of the power supply?

    Kirby Crosby, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Mack

    Ian Hastie Guest

    What does? The switching off of the hard disc?! I doubt it as I think I
    have seen it mentioned elsewhere, but you never know. The OP who had to
    "turn the power supply on and off several times" to get it to start?
    Possibly, but that wasn't me, and your reply was to my message.

    Ian Hastie, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Mack

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    sorry I didn't mean to reply to you specifically , I just read the entire
    thread and responded.
    I have seen this several times where a power supply that is failing causes
    the machine to boot intermittently.
    Often with the Hard Drive "clicking" on and off.

    Kirby Crosby, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Mack

    Guest Guest

    Kirby> sorry I didn't mean to reply to you specifically , I just read the entire
    Kirby> thread and responded.
    Kirby> I have seen this several times where a power supply that is failing causes
    Kirby> the machine to boot intermittently.
    Kirby> Often with the Hard Drive "clicking" on and off.

    Kirby>
    I have seen the same problem also. Watch that power supply.

    Later

    Guest, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Mack

    Ian Hastie Guest

    OK, but it helps the flow of the thread if you make sure of the message
    you're replying to.
    Possibly, but it only happens when the machine is booting, just before it
    boots in fact. During normal operation the disc runs continuously. Or at
    least that is the case for me. My PSU is a Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)(FMA)
    431W power supply. Then again I have three HDDs running off of it as well
    as the various fans.

    Ian Hastie, Feb 3, 2004