    with the 533 or 800 speed processor? Why if you have the time to
    write.
    Bob

    BobL, Feb 28, 2004

  2. BobL

    TomG Guest

    you definitely want the 800 FSB processor because the bandwidth is that much
    higher for that CPU than the slower internal FSB CPU. with the 800 internal
    FSB CPU, the external FSB will be running at 200 in a non-overclocked
    situation versus 133 FSB for the 533 internal FSB CPU. common sense tells
    you that the faster FSB will help with bandwidth of data coming to and from
    the CPU.

    couple the above with higher speed DDR ram, then the bandwidth of the RAM
    bus will be higher as well and you will see an overall system benefit from
    increased CPU bandwidth and memory bandwidth.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 28, 2004

  3. BobL

    BobL Guest

    OK, so I get the 3.0 800Mhz processor. What speed DDR ram should I
    get. A few bucks here or there is not going to kill me.
    Bob

    BobL, Feb 28, 2004
  4. BobL

    Skid Guest

    If you're not planning to overclock, any good low-latency PC3200 will do. If
    you are planning to overclock, (and why buy a Max3 if you're not ;>) then
    good PC3500 or PC3700 will likely get you as far as the cpu can take you.

    There are some ram reviews collected by speed rating at www.amdboards.com,
    and some good articles on compatibility and configuration in the memory
    section at www.anandtech.com

    Skid, Feb 28, 2004
  5. BobL

    TomG Guest

    personal opinion, I would get at least 3500, such as Corsair XMS3500 or
    Buffalo Tech with the Winbond chips (not with Micron). Corsair is a little
    pricier but it's good stuff and they stand behind it.

    TomG, Feb 28, 2004
  6. BobL

    John Lewis Guest

    3.0C ( Northwood)
    Not 3.0E ( Prescott)
    Of course.

    Same price.

    see Anandtech and Tom's Hardware for the reasons

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 28, 2004
  7. BobL

    BobL Guest

    Hey guys this is what I got.

    CPU P4/3.0CGHz 800M 478P/512K HT RT 1 $229.00
    POWER SUPPLY CMAX 400WCX-400B BK RT 1 $42.99
    MB i875P|5P1A4D IC7-MAX3 ABIT RTL 1 $185.99
    HD 74GB|WD 10,000RPM 8MB WD740GD % 2 $468.00
    DVD+/-RW LTN LDW-811S/LDW-851S BLK% 1 $119.00
    CPU FAN A/I ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU RT 1 $42.99
    FD 1.44MB|MTSMI D359M3D/D359M3B BLK 1 $11.00
    DVD|LITE ON 16X XJ-HD166/165H BK% 1 $25.00
    CPU THERMPASTE|ARCTIC SILVER5 3.5G% 1 $7.25
    CASE COOLERMAS|ATXM TAC-T01 RT BK 1 $152.00

    The RAM is Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel
    Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail *** Free 2nd Day *** @ $245.00

    Subtotal $1,283.22
    Tax $.00
    Shipping and Handling charge 33.99
    Total $1,317.21

    Thanks for your help.
    Bob

    BobL, Feb 29, 2004
  8. BobL

    BobL Guest

    Oh yeah, I got a ATI 9800XT Pro with my AMEX Rewards.

    BobL, Feb 29, 2004
  9. BobL

    John Lewis Guest

    Good choice. Not Prescott, thank goodness.
    You have just paid ~ $300 more than for a 250GByte WD
    7200/8Meg (after rebate)

    Pray tell me exactly what real-world application will benefit other
    than microscopically from this purchase ?
    Do not expect stellar overclock at 1:1 from this memory.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 1, 2004
  10. BobL

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Hi Bob,
    That's a great system but why scrimp on the power supply. I hate to keep
    pounding on the importance of the PS - but it's the heart of the system.
    I'd strongly suggest a PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe. Check it out here;
    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

    Ed Forsythe, Mar 1, 2004
  11. BobL

    John Lewis Guest

    He's not running a server with lots of disks and a multiprocessor MB.
    With the 400watt supply, all he need do is check the current available
    on the +12v supply. 17amps or more is fine; 15 amps marginal if he
    is running both a high-end graphics card and a high-end CPU.

    Watts is not the true story, just a wet-finger-held-in-the-wind
    indicator.

    For more info on the subject, see:-

    http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/default.asp
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/power_supplies-01.html

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 1, 2004
  12. BobL

    BobL Guest

    What type of memory should I get for this board to be able to
    overclock?
    Bob

    BobL, Mar 1, 2004
  13. BobL

    BobL Guest

    Is this the right memory?

    OCZ DDR PC-3500 / 433mhz / Dual Channel / Enhanced Latency Series
    OCZ Enhanced Latency PC-3500 Dual Channel optimized kits memory using
    state of the art ULN technology are capable of achieving outrageous
    speeds of up to 434 MHz at CL2*. In addition we have optimized the
    design to take advantage of the increased bandwidth of Dual Channel
    DDR platforms. Each module is hand tested and matched across a variety
    of motherboards to insure flawless performance on any motherboard. Our
    copper heat spreaders maximize cooling and extend your rams life while
    increasing performance. OCZ Enhanced Latency PC-3500 is the best
    performing DDR memory on the market. Period.

    Specifications
    - ULN Technology: (U)ltra (L)ow (N)oise shielded PCB
    - Lifetime Warranty
    - 1G ( 512MB x 2 modules) kits based on OCZ brand EL DDR IC (4.5 ns)
    - CL 2-3-3-7 1T
    - 217 (434) MHz*- may require async mode
    - Optimized for dual channel operation
    - 2.7 volt support
    - 184 Pin Dimm
    -1024MB PN-OCZ4331024ELDC-K
    - Unbuffered

    BobL, Mar 1, 2004
  14. BobL

    John Lewis Guest

    TomG is more expert in this area than I. However, I suggest
    that you see what you can do with your current memory first,
    The processor might be the limit.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 1, 2004
  15. BobL

    TomG Guest

    folks have rated Buffalo Tech with the Winbond chips (as opposed to Micron
    chips) as good stuff and I am currently using Corsair XMS3500. you want to
    get at least 3500 or faster, personal opinion. you will likely end up
    having to run the 3500 at 5:4 ratio if the CPU has good overhead as you
    would probably run out of headroom with the ram first when trying to run at
    1:1.

    don't pay for "matched" sets as that is just extra money that does not get
    you anything, personal opinion.

    TomG, Mar 1, 2004
  16. BobL

    TomG Guest

    that would be decent too...

    TomG, Mar 1, 2004
  17. BobL

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    I know John - the key is not max output it's *stable* (+/- 1% on the + rails
    is great), *clean*, reliable power. That PCP&C 510 is not even breathing
    hard at 200W while the other brand may be gasping for air. You can't
    believe most of the manufacturer's published specs like the 550W PS that
    actually puts out 300W at 50°. Why populate your system with the best of
    everything and furnish a $40 pump? I just can't see the validity to any
    argument suggesting compromise on the PS. Doesn't make sense to me but
    that's just my opinion :).
    Tally Ho!
    Ed

    Ed Forsythe, Mar 1, 2004