    as well? I currently have a 300watt case, I would be grateful if someone
    could advise me.

    Colin Webb

    CW, Jan 6, 2004

  2. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you like your current case, just replace the PS, or you could just
    upgrade the cpu only and keep the rest of your system.

    Wes Newell, Jan 6, 2004

  3. CW

    RJW Guest

    Colin,
    I just built a new 2800 system and used a Thermaltake V1000D case with an
    Antec 480 Watt PSU and haven't had a single problem.
    Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Servo

    RJW, Jan 6, 2004
  4. CW

    CW Guest

    Thanks for all the info from everyone, I have since discovered I need a PSU
    rated at least at 431Watts.
    I think I shall just replace the PSU (along with the motherboard and CPU)
    although a couple of the leads from the case (not the PSU) to the
    motherboard look a bit daunting to re-attach to my new motherboard.
    Did consider not replacing the motherboard but cannot upgrade the CPU on it.
    Colin Webb

    CW, Jan 7, 2004
  5. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    Why? Who told you you couldn't? That's what abit told me too. Does it have
    at least a 50MHz FSB? If it does (and they didnt make any socket A boards
    any slower than 100MHz) it should be able to run any socket A cpu made.
    You just have to know how, and get the right one if you want it to be
    easy. What board and chipset do you board have? See link below.

    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2004
  6. CW

    RJW Guest

    Any leads (speaker, power, reset, etc.) from the case to the existing mobo
    should be carefully documented BEFORE detaching them. Your new mobo will
    have instructions on where these leads connect. Check them carefully before
    powering up.

    RJW, Jan 7, 2004
  7. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    That's like saying "if you want to become a billionaire you just have to
    know how". The "knowing how" is the catch.

    I note that you're real big on "anything can be done" but not very
    strong on "here's how to do it" except for the one or two boards with
    which you have personal experience.

    J.Clarke, Jan 7, 2004
  8. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    WTF is your problem John. You've been ragging on me for a while now and
    I'm getting a little sick of it. And since I don't know which board he
    has, how the hell do you expect me to tell him how to do it. If you're so
    fucking smart, you tell him. Also, the link below applies to most boards,
    not just the ONE I have. I've pointed this out to many with different
    types of boards from many different manufacturers and they have confirmed
    everything I've said. Yes, there's a few that have had problems, but this
    proves mostly, if not entirely, to be from the lack of understanding of
    the invidual. So unless you have a crystal ball and can tell this guy how
    to do it, why not just keep your fucking insults to yourself. I was just
    pointing out that he has other options than to replace his board.

    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2004
  9. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    My problem is that your little fantasy doesn't pass reality check--you
    keep asserting over and over that any socket A chip can be used in any
    Socket A board, and it simply ain't so. You may _believe_ it is, but
    that just means that you haven't encountered a board that won't allow
    it.
    I've never seen you tell _anybody_ how to do it. And if you don't know
    what motherboard he has, how do you know that it will work?
    You're the self-proclaimed expert here, not me. And since I've never
    claimed that you can stick any random Athlon into any random Socket A
    board and have it work, I fail to see why I would be expected to tell
    someone how to do this.
    The link mentions specifically the KT133. It doesn't say anything at
    all about any other chipset except the KT133A, and it doesn't mention
    any brand of board but Abit. While the techniques described very likely
    will work with many other boards and chipsets, that doesn't mean that
    they will work for every board and every chipset.
    So? "Many" is not "all"
    Uh huh. When you can't figure out how to make it work blame the other
    guy.
    He has some things that he can try, with no guarantee that they'll work.

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  10. CW

    Bill Guest

    <snip>

    Do you have some examples of a socket A board that won't
    work with any socket A processor?

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 8, 2004
  11. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    Try putting a Barton or Thorton in a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  12. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well, if they have a socket A, then they have an Athlon chipset, so why
    don't you enlighten everyone and specify which chipet won't support an XP
    cpu. All the ones I know of will, including all AMD, VIA, SIS, Nvidia, and
    even Ali. It's obvious I don't have all these, but from the specs of the
    chipsets, and the specs on the cpu's, they should all work in any properly
    designed board.
    If you had read my reply more carefully you might have noticed where I
    asked him which MB and chipset he had. Without that I could only give him
    the basics. As for telling people how to do it, just look at my web site.
    And if you've never seen me tell anyone how to do it, you're blind. I've
    done so in several NG's, not to mention the more than 100 emails I
    recieved and answered. I only did the website because I was tired of
    repeating myself every day. I've probably posted 500 messages on how to do
    it.
    I see you didn't read the website very good either. I used references to
    the KT133 chipset in a couple of places, but in others there is no chipset
    even mentioned. There's no chipset even mention in the Tbred info, nor in
    the original part of the multiplier cross reference. But if you don't like
    my website, well....
    BS. I'm not where they are. I can only tell them what they need to do. i
    can't do it for them. Nor do I owe anyone anything. Just this week someone
    said a 2400+ wouldn't work in their board (KT7A). I told them again that
    it would and they weren't doing something right. Gues what, he got it
    working (had a ram that wouldn't do 133Mhz). Perhaps you can reach
    through time and space to cure these peoples problems, but I'm only human
    and can only give them the knowledge that it will work, done properly. Too
    many are are too quick to give up when it doesn't work the first time they
    try.
    If it's done right it will work.

    Wes Newell, Jan 8, 2004
  13. CW

    Wes Newell Guest

    Was Skids answer to this recently not to your liking? I didn't bother to
    reply. And don't intend to.

    I'm not Wes, but if you'll search the Soyo forum at http://forums.amdmb.com/
    you'll see that a number of people are successfully running Bartons on that
    board. Apparently the 3000+ is the best bet to run at or near its rated
    speed. Some of them are using modified bios files and cap mods to increase
    the odds of success. Can't vouch for any of it personally, but I found lots
    of folks who say it can be done.

    Wes Newell, Jan 8, 2004
  14. CW

    Bill Guest

    A Google search:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    &threadm=94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
    40posting.google.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DSoyo%2BK7V%
    2BDragon%2BPlus%2Bbarton%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%
    26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D94f3db7e.0308150938.3e658236%
    2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D4

    http://tinyurl.com/269eh

    did turn up a guy that said Bartons would run on the board
    after modding it:

    "For info on what mods are needed on the D+ boards go to:
    http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=
    99dfb629bcba630b5d99232daee1aa32&threadid=193409
    and read thru the posts. Yes, the Barton chips work on the
    D+ boards
    after the mods are done. However, only the 3000+ makes any
    sense
    because
    the other 2 Barton chips don't allow for the higher
    multiplier values
    to be used unless you do the wire/pin trick on the cpu
    itself.
    If your interested in more info on running a Barton chip,
    email me and
    I will send you info.

    Andy"

    http://tinyurl.com/27lzw < his amdforum ref. >

    I admit that's a lot more work than I would put into it.
    Especially since you'd probably have to mod the multipliers
    on the cpu also.

    Do you have knowledge of any that will flat not work at
    all? Such as, voltage/current requirements that the board
    can't meet, and/or modding it to meet the Barton/Thornton
    requirements would be prohibitively expensive < say, more
    than the cost of a newboard >?

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 8, 2004
  15. CW

    CW Guest

    Guys, calm down I am amazed at all the fuss I have caused over my intentions
    to upgrade my motherboard, the model is by the way the Jetway 8363-686A with
    the VIA KT/133/A chipset and the Athlon M4(Thunderbird) 650-1.4G CPU.
    I was assured that I could not upgrade further than a 1.4 gig processor.
    Obviously you people know more than I do so further advice is welcome.
    CWebb

    CW, Jan 8, 2004
  16. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    You're assuming that the chipset is the only issue. It's not, the BIOS
    is also an issue. You're also assuming that all boards meet your
    standard of "properly designed".
    I've seen it, and it has some general comments that one can find
    elsewhere but no specifics for any board but the one that you have.
    Perhaps you have, when I have nothing better to do I'll look this up.
    Alas, I have neglected to hack your machine so as to read your emails.
    And the Tbred info and the multiplier cross reference and so on are very
    handy once you get the thing to run at all, but they don't tell you how
    to make it run, just how to make it faster.
    That's a tautology--it's true but meaningless. The issue is that "done
    right" may involve a good deal of reverse-engineering.

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  17. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    Thanks for that information--I knew if I pissed enough people off
    somebody would come up with an answer if there was one. Now, let's see
    what kind of capacitors I've got in the junk box . . .

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  18. CW

    J.Clarke Guest

    I have no idea who "Skid" is or where he answered. But your "I didn't
    bother to reply and I don't intend to" shows the problem with your
    attitude.

    So it looks like the D+ can be modded, however there's a good chance
    that anybody who tries it as his first-time electronics project is going
    to kill the board dead. But you never put caveats like _that_ in
    either, unlike the guy who actually came up with the mod.
    Then why are you using his account?

    J.Clarke, Jan 8, 2004
  19. CW

    Bill Guest

    I don't remember getting p.o.'d, just getting my curiousity
    piqued.

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 8, 2004
  20. CW

    Bill Guest

    Welcome to Usenet, where Fuss is the name of the game.

    You are aware you can get Athlon motherboards starting at
    around $40.00 USD < plus shipping >?

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 8, 2004