    Is there anything special I need to know about this system before or when
    upgrading?

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Jun 19, 2008

  2. Postman Delivers

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:Kfl6k.1419$,
    Postman Delivers typed on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:28:26 -0700:
    > I have a Profile 3 sitting on my work bench. The system is loaded
    > with Windows ME, can this be upgraded to windows XP,

    Yes it can.

    > and are there
    > drivers for this system if i upgrade...

    Not many XP drivers. For example, no sound drivers available for XP.
    Although the Windows 2000 sound drivers just might work okay under
    Windows XP.

    http://assets.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=Profile+3&st=kw

    > Is there anything special I need to know about this system before or
    > when upgrading?

    You can't do much upgrading with it.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

    BillW50, Jun 20, 2008

  3. BillW50 wrote:

    > In news:Kfl6k.1419$,
    > Postman Delivers typed on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:28:26 -0700:
    >> I have a Profile 3 sitting on my work bench. The system is loaded
    >> with Windows ME, can this be upgraded to windows XP,

    > Yes it can.
    >
    >> and are there
    >> drivers for this system if i upgrade...

    > Not many XP drivers. For example, no sound drivers available for XP.
    > Although the Windows 2000 sound drivers just might work okay under
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > http://assets.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=Profile+3&st=kw
    >
    >> Is there anything special I need to know about this system before or
    >> when upgrading?

    > You can't do much upgrading with it.

    BillW50,

    I have looked on e-bay and they have several listed with XP installed is the
    reason I asked. But looking at the link you supplied I see what you mean
    the drivers are limited... I have one win2k serial number remaining and
    see that was installed in these systems so guess that is a better option -

    Would be nice to have a recovery disk with the win2k drivers, but guess
    everything should be straight forward switching the operating system, as
    this needs to go on line and the users needs an anti-virus... I was a bit
    surprised trying to load the free AVG, that it said sorry only win2k, XP
    and Vista...

    This system has almost no memory (one stick 128 of 66mhz) but I have read
    several places 100mhz is what this system can have installed, but I have
    not run CPUz to read the motherboard and processor information.

    Today I am going to push this Win ME profile3 to the backside of the
    workbench and deal with a ECS 946GZT-MS motherboard front pin out
    instead...

    Thanks for the research, it is certainly appreciated and I will let you know
    on Monday how the system is running with win2k... I did manage to get on
    line using a 3com (3CCFE575BT) Lan Card, presume that drivers will be
    available for the PC Card slot...

    JE the postman

    Postman Delivers, Jun 20, 2008