Program uninstalls corrupted

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Journey, Jun 30, 2007.

  1. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I am having problems with my Dell 1390 wireless card (under Vista).
    When I go from one network to another, it can't find the other one or
    it connects with limited access (local only).

    That's problem #1 -- very irritating, but I haven't Googled it yet.

    What is more worrisome is that when I went into my Programs and
    Features applet (formerly Add / Remove Programs under XP), it appeared
    that somehow things got corrupted. Instead of program names for most
    things, there were things like #7400 as an entry.

    I did a System Restore which fixed the problem.

    A few days ago I installed Zone Alarm Free for Vista, and I restored
    prior to that point. Otherwise I don't know what could have corrupted
    things.

    As far as the wireless Dell 1390, I wish I had chosen the Intel
    version. I have had many intermittent problems.

    I am close to going back to XP to see if things are more stable there.
    I have had a chance to try Vista, and although I like some of the
    features of the new explorer, other than that I might as well be
    running XP anyway. I won't be missing anything other than some of the
    power management features that I can tweak under Vista.

    MS says SP1 for Vista isn't going to come out until 2008.

    Journey, Jun 30, 2007

  2. Journey

    Ben Myers Guest

    Depending on the type of wireless card in your notebook, an Intel replacement is
    inexpensive. If your notebook uses a miniPCI card, contact me offline. I have
    some 2915ABG cards here. If your notebook uses the newer flavor of internal
    mini PCI-E, you would want the 3945ABG, available for cheap on eBay. Their
    range and reliability are worth spending a few bucks.... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 30, 2007

  3. Journey

    Journey Guest

    The specs for the 640m say that the mini card is:

    - one Type IIIA Mini-Card slot

    I don't know if that's mini-PCI or mini PCI-E.

    The Dell Service Manual uses the term mini but not PCI-E.

    I'd love to replace this wireless card.

    Journey, Jun 30, 2007
  4. Journey

    Ben Myers Guest

    In popular terminology, the card is a mini PCI-E. Dell somehow manages to
    obfuscate. The Intel replacement is the 3945... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 30, 2007
  5. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I just ordered it from Amazon. I may have paid a little extra ($28,
    free 2 day shipping) but it's a lot less hassle than ebay.

    I really look forward to replacing this 1390 card.

    I am going to hold off going to XP -- the program uninstall corruption
    though is a big concern but I was able to get back with System
    Restore.

    Journey, Jun 30, 2007
  6. Journey

    Ben Myers Guest

    That's not an ouitrageous retail price at all. It's far less than the less
    convenient PCMCIA (aka PC Card) wifi cards sold at mass market retail. You'll
    like it... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 30, 2007