    I am not programmer, just doing 8051 program for fun. Just curious can I
    make a living on my hobby in case. (Of course I understand my
    programming skill is far from professional yet)

    john, Sep 10, 2004

  2. 8051-based CPUs are ubiquitous so there is a market for the CPU. Your
    skills as an embedded systems developer, however, are probably more
    important to potential employers than your specific CPU experience. That
    is, you might be better served learning how to architect embedded systems
    (hw + sw) and how to program at a professional level than to learn the few
    intricacies of the 8051.

    Mark A. Odell, Sep 10, 2004

  3. "Architect" is not a verb (yet).

    Bryan Hackney, Sep 13, 2004
  4. I am sorry if this post is off topic,
    To architect: v.

    It is now. :) Of course you're correct, engineering jargon sometimes
    overflows into "acceptable" English. I suppose "design" would have been a
    more appropriate word.

    Mark A. Odell, Sep 13, 2004
  5. "Architect" is not a verb (yet).

    Oh, come now. In the third millenium of the Christian calendar, I
    think we can all grow up and agree that all nouns can be verbed.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Sep 14, 2004
  6. I'm for verbing nouns, but I feel for Architects, whose esteemed
    profession has been slurred by those who think "designing" computers,
    and calling the result "computer architecture", somehow does not
    infringe on the overwhelming common use of 20 years ago.

    H. Ross Perot once drew the distinction of real architects, and those
    who make pretty pictures, but I won't go there. I don't understand the
    professional at all.

    Bryan Hackney, Sep 14, 2004
  7. john

    Sacre Vert Guest

    Architects often deserve the slurs they get. When I was at Cambridge
    University I was asked, with another Engineer, to build a "structure"
    designed by an architect. We took one look at the design and
    concluded that it would not stand up - it was a mechanism not a
    structure. The Architect insisted, so we built it, and stood well
    back. It fell down.

    I hope that the Architect learned from the experience but somehow I
    doubt it.

    S-V

    Sacre Vert, Sep 14, 2004
  8. I'm for verbing nouns, but I feel for Architects, whose esteemed
    Hmm. A "computer architecture" in the sense I understand it is not
    incompatible with the idea of Architecture. However I think many
    people do incorrectly refer to implementations or designs as
    "architectures", much as people might incorrectly refer to masonry as
    architecture.

    In any case, however, "common use 20 years ago" is not today, is it?
    Language changes, and different language use is appropriate in
    different scenarios. If I'm talking to today's urban youth, I'm going
    to need to speak at least some gutter argot. Writing a scientific
    paper requires a different vocabulary and grammar. On the other hand,
    if I was writing a piece of fiction, I'd tend to follow the language
    and style of my favorite authors of the nineteenth century.

    Travel too far down the "but that's not how we said it 20 years ago"
    road and you become like the French, desperately clinging to their own
    archaisms and attempting to legislate away common-use language
    borrowed from other tongues in an attempt to remain socially aloof and
    insular. Sometimes I just want to whack them with a Nerf bat.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Sep 14, 2004
  9. I have a feeling that that's what H. Ross Perot was talking about. Probably being
    one not inspired by design, his definition of an architect was structural engineer.

    A smart architect, as with an engineer or doctor, knows when to defer and refer.
    But your case of an "Architect" not knowing basic structural mechanics is
    informative.

    Bryan Hackney, Sep 15, 2004