    hi, i just wanted to know what was the fastest CPU spped you can put
    on a proliant 800. I got 1 for free :) and it came with a 350mhz cpu
    on it.

    nissaba, Jul 9, 2007

  2. nissaba

    HH Guest

    The Prliant 800 is a PII machine and the fastest PII is a 400 MHz, not worth
    the effort, really. You would see more improvement by maxing out memory or
    using faster hard drives, but I would not recommend spending much on an
    outdated machine.

    HH

    HH, Jul 9, 2007

  3. nissaba

    paulmd Guest

    You're lucky this was intended as a server or workstation, usually
    hp's documentation isn't this good on older computers. Or newer ones,
    for that matter.

    You can go to 500mhz. You will likely need to upgrade the BIOS to
    break in to a p3 class processor (must still be a *slot*, and be 450
    mhz or 500mhz, and a 100mhz Bus). There are LOTS of bios and firmware
    upgrades for this thing. Although, when going through the bios
    revisions I don't see any mention of support for newer processors.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/s...ual/TPM_313656-001_ch4/TPM_313656-001_ch4.pdf

    The rest of the manuals. Note: there are apparently 2 different
    machines that are called the proliant 800: One is a Pentium Pro, and
    the other is a Pentium 2. You have the Pentium 2. (the manuals dated
    1998 and newer, as opposed to 1996)

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...skId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254919

    Drivers.

    http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/f...l/1131.html?lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=254919

    Everything else

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254919&lang=en&cc=us

    Others will point you the lack of economic justification for upgrading
    the processor. But if you can find a freebee computer, you can
    probably find a freebee p3 processor somewhere too. :)

    paulmd, Jul 10, 2007
  4. nissaba

    Ben Myers Guest

    I seem to recall having a 500MHz Pentium II CPU. Or was it 450MHz? There is
    also a small possibility that the computer will accept a 600MHz Pentium III, the
    fastest one made for 100MHz front side bus AND 2.0v operation. But the
    motherboard BIOS may not be able to handle a Pentium III. All you can do is
    try one. A used one is chump change nowadays, so it would be worth the small
    investment to experiment... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 10, 2007
  5. nissaba

    HH Guest

    Ben,
    The User Guide for jumpers shows only a 60MHz and 66 MHz processor bus
    option for the 800.

    HH

    HH, Jul 10, 2007
  6. nissaba

    Ben Myers Guest

    60MHz? That would be for a Pentium Pro, not a Pentium II. Pentium II's were
    made with either 66MHz or 100Mhz FSB. Speeds were
    233,266,300,333,350,400,450,500... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 10, 2007
  7. nissaba

    paulmd Guest

    OK, just to clear stuff up. re Ben vs HH. Neither of you are wrong
    exactly... but there is some misinfo between the 2 of you.

    1) The fastest p2 is 450 mhz.

    2) Some computers may display a p3 500 as a p2 500, in the bios splash
    screen. But all that means is you need to update the bios.

    3a) the ops machine is a p2 350mhz, that uses a 100mhz bus. No p2 uses
    60mhz. 60 or 66 mhz is a choice you get with a pentuim pro.

    4) In most cases, you can upgrade a high p2 with a low p3. I believe
    it possible to put a p3 500 in this machine and have it work. It may
    be displayed as a p2 500, but it'll be fine. I don't know about
    600mhz... maybe, there's no documentation to support this, but that
    doesn't mean it won't work. 500 is more likely to work, which is
    backed up by there being a 500mhzs cpu setting.

    paulmd, Jul 10, 2007
  8. nissaba

    nissaba Guest

    Thanks avery one for the info. :)
    The person that gave me the 800 also gave me a proLiant 3000 and a
    1600. the 3000 came with a 300mhzMMX so did the 1600.
    the problem with the 1600 is that all the scii was removed from it.
    and my guess so far is that the bus on the 1600 is a 60mhz, same for
    the 3000. the 800 and 3000 are functional.

    the 800 model is pl800 6/350 512 64 us , the cpu IO board as
    313622-001 model on it.
    the 1600 6/300 1m dom , the cpu IO board as 149089-001 model on it.
    and the 3000 says it is a 56022

    for the moment i think the best system might be the 800 since it is
    the only with 100mhz fsb on it. ?? that is my guess so far.

    mostly i will use it as a small server to learn some web programming.
    I think setting up a small server next to my development system is a
    good way to learn.

    nissaba, Jul 11, 2007
  9. nissaba

    Ben Myers Guest

    The 300MHz Slot 1 Pentium II processor runs at 66MHz front side bus. As stated
    before, none of the Pentium II CPUs were designed to run at 60MHz, only 66 or
    100.

    Yes, the 800 is newer with its 100MHz FSB, and it is probably the best choice to
    use as a small server. Try a Linux distro or an old version of NT server.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 11, 2007