Promise ATA100 controller + ATA266 = death

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Adk46er, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Adk46er

    Adk46er Guest

    I'm doing a post-mortem (almost) of my system. Maybe somebody out
    there can explain what happened.

    My system has 4 drives - all full -- BTW when TF are mobo makers gonna
    add more drive capability -- anyway, I needed to add another HDD
    because I've begun doing a lot of work with movie production.

    So I plug in an old Promise Ultra100 TX2 card in an empty slot. I
    attach my new Seagate 120 gig hdd to it and reboot.

    First problem. I notice that my 2 cd drives are no longer seen in the
    boot up sequence. I have them 2 set to "auto" in the bios and it's
    worked flawlessly until now. Ultimately the boot sequence says "no
    drives found" on the secondary channel.

    So then the promise bios starts and it detects the card fine as well
    as the hdd. Then WinXP Pro begins and man.... is it ever a slug! I'm
    like waiting 4 maybe 5X as long as I used to.

    When it finally is finished, I check WIndows explorer and see the two
    CDroms. (How can this be when the mobo didn't?) When I open up one of
    the drives to see if it's reading a file on the disk in it ... kaboom
    .... instant death. Crash to the basement floor with no stops in
    between.

    So I wait for it to reboot and go to windows again. I click to close
    windows down. Guess what?! It won't. Total freeze at the "windows is
    closing" pic.

    So... simple answer to all this, right? Just remove the card and sell
    the new drive on ebay, right? So I pull the card and reboot. Guess
    what ... it's still a slug. and bios still won't recognize my 2 cdrom
    drives and WinXP still crashes when I try to open up these 2 drives,
    and it still won't shut down.

    Dammit. Why can't I ever learn that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

    Any suggestions?

    Adk46er, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Adk46er

    JBS Guest

    I got one of these cards with my new WD 160 GB drive. When I installed it,
    I had all kinds of problems with it. The drive would constantly loose the
    secondary partition. I downloaded a BIOS update from the Promise site and
    it's worked great since.

    JBS, Dec 8, 2003

  3. <snip>

    Have you checked to make sure you haven't introduced a virus into your
    system through some means?

    Just because you have empty bus slots does not mean the system has enough
    free hardware interrupts to handle them.

    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can put 5 IDE hard
    drives in a system even with a Promise card in the mix.

    If you have the $$$ consider replacing your existing drives with a pair of
    250 gig drives. That should provide ample storage for the immediate future.

    Just some thoughts...

    screwtape iii, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Adk46er

    JBS Guest

    I've had six up and running in a single system before using this same
    controller. Two on the MB primary and two on each channel of the IDE
    expansion card. I put my CDR and DVD on the MB secondary channel. You need
    to be sure your power supply and cooling scheme will support this many
    drives.

    JBS, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Adk46er

    DanO Guest

    OK, you asked so I'll oblige... YES, you can put more than 4 IDE drives in
    a system without issue. Basically, PCI slots/resources will be your
    limiting factor. With my P4B533-E I have had 6 HD's and 2 ATAPI drives all
    running together without issue, and that was with only integrated IDE
    channels on the MB. With a couple add-in PCI controller cards, and a very
    large power supply, you could keep adding drives.

    DanO, Dec 9, 2003
  6. I skriblet screwtape
    iii noe ala dette
    Shouldn't be a problem on realtively new systems - anyway, the harddrives
    don't demand separate interrupts, although the controller card might.
    Of course you can - given enough power in the box, you can install as many
    controller cards as there are room (ie. vacant PCI-slots) and attach HD's
    to your heart's content - only problem being already mentioned power,
    perhaps heat-issues, and finally the genius limit in Windows to 26
    (actually 24 for things other than floppies) drive-letters :-/

    But having 5, 6, or even 8 drives in a box at the same time is no problem
    at all.

    Ørjan Langbakk, Dec 9, 2003
  7. You can run with alot more drives than 4 ide drives, im running 4x250 and
    4x120 2x36 2xcdrw = 12 ide drives, allmost no problem !

    Promise are a shit ass company that dont support nothing but the basics.

    if your motherboard cant find disk after you put in the controller then the
    controller is possibly conflicting with the mb, move the tx2 card further
    down the pci slots maybe to the last one.

    i had to try all pci slots before i got my system working (mb controller
    +promise sx4000 +tx2) and i had to try alot of combinations before it worked
    flawlessly.

    you can also try assigning IRQ directly to the board (you do that in the
    bios, if it supports it)
    update mb bios, and your tx2 controller to the latest, and remember drivers
    update them too

    then to your powersupply, a harddisk uses a little less than 1 amp at 12
    volts =12 watts per drive, if you have a regular 300w psu...then it has
    around 12amps all in all....and depending on ram, cpu, theres is usually not
    much left for other stuff than 2 hd and 2 cd rom.

    remember that a cpu can eat as much as 80-100 watts, ram about 12-20w per
    module, harddrives 12w, cd rom probably about the same if not more.

    make shure you have a good airflow, your disk temperature should not exceed
    50c !

    Lasse

    Lasse Lundberg, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Adk46er

    Joe Guest

    Hey everybody.... thanks for the tips. You've given me some options I
    hadn't thought of.

    Fortunately I have GoBack on my system, so I reverted the whole shmeer
    to the day before. Now Windows is acting normal (well, as normal as it
    could anyway)

    I think maybe I'll go with Firewire external drives from this point
    on. They're twice as expensive, but man do they save hassles, and
    they're self-powered so I don't have to update my powersupply.

    Thanks again.

    Joe, Dec 9, 2003