    pool bytes and handle ramp up until I run out of memory.

    I know it is not nessessary to run the service to have RAID, but I still
    would like to have it available to monitor the drives. Is there any fix?

    news.lightship.net, Apr 16, 2004

  2. news.lightship.net

    Tim Guest

    Is there a supported way to stop the process?
    What happens if you end task it?
    Might you run the process only when it is needed and shutdown when finished?

    Have you posted a message to Promise about this - they should be able to fix
    quickly (although it can be difficult).

    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 16, 2004

  3. I can shut down the service, but that defeats the purpose of having the
    service running. The messenger service is supposed to monitor the array and
    tell me when an error occurs, but if it is off then I won't know about the
    error until I reboot the server.

    I also don't want to schedule the server to reboot during the nights because
    what if there is a problem and the warning message hangs the server up
    waiting for a response.

    news.lightship.net, Apr 17, 2004
  4. news.lightship.net

    Tim Guest

    Hmmm - as I thought.
    The probability of a failure day by day is low.
    The key thing to see would be if one of the discs fails (I hope it is raid 1
    not 0).
    So, if you ran this once a day to check that both discs are ok you will be
    able to get by.

    In the mean time I would put the hurry up on Promise who are no doubt
    already working on the problem since you will be one of a huge number of
    people affected.

    If the monitor program is a user application then stop and restarting it
    should free all resources - unless of course it is provoking a leak in an
    underlying driver.

    So, I would get onto Promise pronto and have documented evidence at hand.

    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 17, 2004