Promise SATA300 TX4 and ASUS P4PE mb. Other controller card recos?SATA300 too fast for this mb?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Ken, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    At present, I have a Promise SATA150 TX2 controller card in my system
    with an ASUS P4PE mb.

    I am considering adding a SATA 300 PCI controller card for a SATA-300
    drive I have acquired in order to use it to the max, if in fact, it
    would operate that quickly (but at some time in the future it will
    probably be in a system that will use it at its maximum capability). Or
    is this foolish thinking because the bus won't be able to handle
    anywhere near the 3 Gb/sec that SATA-II is supposed to be able to deliver?

    Does anyone know of any issues with the Promise SATA300 TX4? Any
    experience out there with the Promise or any other add-in card that does
    or does not work with this mb?

    Are there buses that can even handle 3 Gb/sec burst speeds?

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, Dec 21, 2006

  2. Ken

    Arno Wagner Guest

    SATA disks do not deliver 3Gb/sec. The bus can. But the disks
    peak at around 640Mb/sec or lower, just like ordinary ATA disks.
    You have fallen victim to some marketing lies....

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Dec 21, 2006

  3. Not very likely.
    Right. And neither do the drives themselves.
    66MHz-PCI, 64-bitPCI, PCI-X, PCIe, take your pick.

    Folkert Rienstra, Dec 21, 2006
  4. Nope, it can't either. That's just the clockrate is bits per second.
    There is no easy conversion to Bytes per second. The data is burst
    at 3Gb/s, along with all kind of command and protocol and serial
    conversion bits.
    Many disks today peak at higher than 64MB/s.
    Right, so learn from that and don't next fall victim to Babblebot Arnie
    who pulls facts from his arse and sees conspiracies everywhere.

    Folkert Rienstra, Dec 21, 2006