PS/2 keyboard locks up after sleep

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Gary Fritz, Aug 28, 2007.

  1. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    I generally put my PC into standby when I'm not using it. Lately I've been
    having a problem where the keyboard doesn't work when the PC wakes from
    standby. (Which is especially strange, since I hit the keyboard to WAKE it
    from standby, but then XP doesn't see any keypresses.)

    The only way I've found to recover keyboard function is to reboot XP.

    This has happened often enough that I've got an old junker USB keyboard
    permanently hooked up so I can at least type my login password and shut
    down the system gracefully.

    Any guesses what might cause the keyboard to fail like this? Since it
    apparently works well enough to wake the PC from standby, I have to assume
    it's something wrong in the way XP talks to it.

    XP Home, SP2. Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A. I do have a 6'
    extension cable on the keyboard but other than that nothing is unusual.

    Gary

    Gary Fritz, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Gary Fritz

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Try without the extension cable. Unlikely, but possibly there is
    some problem with it and XP does some initialization after wakeup
    that causes a power-spike. That this only happens lately could
    be dure to a buffer capacitor in the keyboard having lost enough
    capacity for it to impact functionality. These caps are typically
    electrolythe and loose capacity slowly over time. Another option
    is weak contacts in the connectors. Either due to corrosion
    or mechanical fatigue.

    If this is the issue, replacing that capacitor (freferrably with a
    larger one) is the fix.

    If removing the extension cord does not fix this, then a very
    strange problem indeed.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Aug 28, 2007

  3. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    Actually I misspoke. It's my speakers that use an extension. The keyboard
    has quite a long cable so it didn't need an extension. However (now that I
    crawled back there and remembered the history), it IS patched in the middle
    where a rabbit chewed it in half. Don't ask. :)
    I haven't opened the keyboard, but I suspect it's all SMT components, which
    are tricky (to say the least) to replace. Assuming I found the right one,
    of course.

    Probably my patch job is giving out. Maybe it's just time to replace the
    keyboard...

    Gary Fritz, Aug 28, 2007
  4. Gary Fritz

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Hehe. Interesting!
    Not in Keyboards. At least not in any I have opened recently.
    There are only very few components and classical through-hole
    components are cheaper.
    I would suspect the patch job as well. You can allways cut the cable
    and repatch it.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Aug 28, 2007
  5. Gary Fritz

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Keyboards are certainly not expensive by any stretch of the imagination.

    M.I.5¾, Aug 29, 2007
  6. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I got distracted in the middle of
    this and forgot to come back to it.

    The thing that makes me suspect Windows, and not the hardware (patch or
    capacitors), is:

    * Even when the keyboard freezes up, it does still work to wake the system
    out of standby. So it's talking to the BIOS just fine, but not to Windows.

    * When it freezes up, unplugging the keyboard, wiggling the patch, etc
    (hardware approaches) don't help.

    * The only way to wake it up again is to reboot Windows. Which says to me
    the problem is in Windows, not the keyboard.

    *shrug* I should just give up and get a new keyboard. *Maybe* that will
    resolve the problem. If only Microsoft would lose the idiotic "F Lock"
    button, which initializes in the wrong state..... urgh (And yes, I've
    tried several of the available solutions, and none of them really fix the
    problem. I want a Microsoft Natural kbd to avoid wrist problems, and the
    stupid "F Lock" comes along with it...)

    Gary

    Gary Fritz, Nov 14, 2007
  7. Gary Fritz

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Well, it would be just like MS to be not compatible to itself....

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Nov 15, 2007