"PS3's graphics processing ability is about 75-85% of the Xbox 360's"

Discussion in 'ATI' started by AirRaid, Jun 18, 2006.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/f8pqn

    PS3 Hardware issues: Teething troubles or a deeper problem?

    Well it's no secret that the PS3 was going to be hard to program what
    with Hideo Kojima making comments like the PS3 could be described as a
    meal you would have on very special occasions whereas the Xbox 360 is
    likened to a meal you would have more often. Take that as you will but
    analogies aside, what is clear is that developers are going to need to
    work that little bit harder to get the most, performance wise out of
    the system. However with the multitude of technical issues that arises
    when programming new hardware and ultimately making a saleable product,
    are Sony's problems with its new hardware going to prove too much for
    developers and ultimately consumers especially if development incurs
    additional costs which translate to more expensive games?

    Looking at the potential problems with the PS3 it is clear to see that
    longer development times could pose a massive problem for Sony
    especially in regards to third party developers. Unlike Microsoft with
    its XNA tools, what support can Sony give to its developers especially
    when we are receiving reports such as the general processing of the
    multiple processors are a pain to work with and that Sony engineers are
    having problems fixing graphical and slow down issues with the system?

    So, what are the issues some developers are having with the hardware?
    Well reports have been abound that the PS3 is having problems with
    slowdown with this being linked to the number of objects and effects
    being displayed at any given time. With next generation graphical
    effects and techniques such as HDR lighting, HD resolutions, shadows,
    antialiasing, parallax mapping, and even normal mapping which thus far
    have posed no problems for the Xbox 360 the PS3 seems to be having many
    issues with these. Coding these effects into games is what is expected
    from developers to be incorporated within next generation titles and
    the assumption is made that the PS3 will be able to handle these
    effectively; however reports surfacing and received by us are
    indicating that the PS3 suffers immeasurable slowdown and unsteady
    frame rates which are not a result of poor coding but in fact the fault
    of the PS3 architecture and Nvidia graphics processor.

    It's widely reported amongst those who have had hands on experience
    with both the Xbox 360 and PS3 that the Xbox 360's graphics processing
    ability is superior to that of the PS3 and it appears that there may be
    some issues here. Some have gone as far as estimating that the PS3's
    graphics processing ability is about 75-85% of the Xbo 360's. However
    the validity of the claims is questionable since there are simply too
    many variables to consider. On the surface it would look like ATI's
    Unified Shader Architecture which is used in the Xbox 360 is paying
    dividends and allowing developers to get the required results from the
    system.

    Looking at programming for the PS3 and on the general processing side
    of things it has the multiple processors which according to a few
    reports are a pain to work with in general. On paper the PS3 has a
    massive amount of power available, but in reality this is proving
    difficult to hook into and a lot of the raw power is simply unusable.
    As always it's clear that once developers become more accustomed to
    using the PS3 and the development tools/profilers improve then better
    results will be accomplished. However the same can be said for those
    developers working with the Xbox 360. It's a learning process which
    hasn't been aided by the fact that many development teams received
    their PS3 final dev kits late and doesn't bode well especially when
    big name companies are also reported to be having the same problems
    with the PS3 with Sony engineers being unable to resolve the extensive
    list of the problems developers are experiencing. We are now hearing
    insider reports which go as far as claiming that a tried and proven
    game engine and graphical techniques used within a game currently
    available for the Xbox 360 is unable to sustain performance on the PS3.

    Sony's E3 press conference had an air of confidence about it and
    whilst its conference was perhaps on the corporate side it's clear
    that on the surface at least Sony is proud and very pleased with the
    PS3. However the underlying reported problems don't necessarily mean
    that as some gaming forum posters would put is "Sony is doomed" but
    more what are the implications of such issues for the gamer? Well
    already gamers are divided over the forced inclusion of the PS3 Blu Ray
    player and of course the inflated price point of the system. Ultimately
    if developers are having issues with the system then this in turn could
    present unexpected game delays, potentially buggy products and the more
    obvious longer development times.

    Another thing that wasn't clear after E3 this year was that of the
    price of the games. Could this area be where the programming problems
    have the most direct impact in relation to the consumer? Well the jury
    is still out but I suspect that with the Blu Ray disks in combination
    with increased developer times or more importantly increased developer
    costs could well mean PS3 games being more expensive than their Xbox
    360 counterparts. I guess this would hit home more if say multi-format
    games (which have also been reported as being an issue, programming
    wise due to both systems very different architecture) are released with
    no graphical/game play differences whatsoever other than the increased
    price for the PS3 version. November is fast approaching and so I guess
    now it's up to Sony in the limited time available to iron out these
    issues, otherwise potentially games are going to be hit with long
    delays and gamers are going to think even harder about whether they
    should buy a PS3 or not rather than simply rushing out to buy one based
    on the name alone.

    and merk bliggy cries to his mamma, screaming "but it's not true, it's
    not true".

    AirRaid, Jun 18, 2006

  2. AirRaid

    Not Swami Guest

    AirRaid hasath spokeneth theseth wordeths ofeth wisethdometh:
    LOL, what moron actually thought he meant the PS3 was hard to develop
    for? It says in the latest issue of OPM that Kojima simply meant the
    PS3 is the most powerful console he will have ever worked with.
    Uh, PS2 is FAR FAR FAR more difficult to program for than the Xbox and
    it did pretty good in the end.
    What potential problems?
    What are they?
    Can you provide a list of these "potential problems" as actual problems
    that are affecting PS3 developement?

    Please post a link where actual PS3 developers (Not MS funded devs)
    have claimed they are having problems such as you have described!

    Please provide a link to this statement?
    Hideo Kojima already stated the most interesting thing for him working
    on the PS3 is it's power.
    I'd still like to see some links and quotes or proof of this.
    The only thing I see are some statements made by the nobodys of the
    press.
    I give this troll atempt a 2.5 out of 10.

    Not Swami, Jun 18, 2006

  3. AirRaid

    Not Swami Guest

    Not Swami, Jun 18, 2006
  4. AirRaid

    Spaceman Guest

    Looks like my assumptions about the PSshitty may be correct after all.
    PSshitty versions of multiplatform games are probably going to be missing
    something whether it's HDR, AA, inconsistent framerate, or a combination of
    them. In other words, PSshitty players will probably be playing the lesser
    quality iteration. You can rag on this story all you want, but as many
    things like this as developers have already said, it's probably very true.

    Spaceman, Jun 19, 2006
  5. with an opening sentence like that i won't bother reading any further...
    why don't people learn to write?

    furious gibbon, Jun 19, 2006
  6. AirRaid

    Jonah Falcon Guest

    Logical debate fallacy. It must be untrue if it contains bad grammar.

    Jonah Falcon, Jun 19, 2006
  7. AirRaid

    Paul Guest

    well i suppose we can compare XBOX360 To a McDonalds Happy Meal (the
    primary cause of obesity in the world) and a PS3 to a fine cuisine at a
    fancy restaurant (where the foods are made with a passion)..

    Thanks, you just made me lean towards the PS3 than a XPieceOfShit

    Paul, Jun 19, 2006
  8. AirRaid

    Fred Liken Guest

    WERD!

    Fred Liken, Jun 19, 2006
  9. AirRaid

    Rob Guest

    Oh PLEASE, PLEASE don't buy a PS3, There you go...Is that what you were
    looking for? Buy what you want, I did, I certainly did not let newsgroups
    decide for me. Go BUY a PS3.

    Rob, Jun 19, 2006
  10. The whole debate is wierd since the PS3 is not even shipping. You
    simply cannot judge two products until both are in their final, shipping
    form.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 19, 2006
  11. AirRaid

    John Lewis Guest

    bandwidth-eating troll....maximally cross-posted.

    *plonk*

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jun 19, 2006
  12. AirRaid

    Tom Guest

    I don't really care about the differences (good or bad for both sides)
    between the 360 and the PS3. But I did read the Too Human preview, and it
    looks really cool. Especially since it stated that there will be a 4 player
    coop mode, ala the 2 player coop mode in PD0. I hope game developers make
    more games like that, as it makes Xbox live a lot more fun (over anything
    similar Sony has online) than just having multiplayer battles .

    Tom, Jun 19, 2006
  13. AirRaid

    Fred Liken Guest

    the irony...

    Fred Liken, Jun 19, 2006
  14. AirRaid

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    LOL, hey Barry, that is well thought out and logical. Guess no one
    explained to you that logic has NO PLACE on the usenet. That will teach you
    to rationalize with facts rather than blind obsession or jealousy! Keep
    that crap to yourself.

    Mattinglyfan, Jun 20, 2006