PSU advice and failing abit fan

Discussion in 'Abit' started by chris, May 24, 2004.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    Hi, need some advice!

    Firstly, my abit kx7-333 northbridge chipset fan is on its way out. It
    keeps making very scary whirring noises and i can see it not spinning
    round properly. So, where on earth can I get a replacement chipset fan?
    I have called up Abit but no one is answering. Any vendors out there
    who stock these?

    Secondly, I am in the market for a new PSU. I have a Juo Juy (novatech
    case, PSU came with it) 300w PSU atm. It's served me very well, BUT I
    think i am getting burning errors as a result of it being underpowered.
    I've been doing some reading up on this, and feel a new PSU is the way
    fwd. I currently have an Athlon XP 2000, 512mb PC2100 CAS 2, 1x cd-rw,
    1x dvd-rom, 2x HD's, and a Ti4200. PLUS I charge my ipod via firewire,
    of which one of my PSU cables goes into the firewire card. So, that's
    quite a heavy load on my PSU.

    http://chris.dsl.lab6.com/~chris/misc/winbond.jpg - those are my winbond
    readings - can anyone offer advice on them? I am going to get this
    PSU: http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13025. My local
    computer shop here in notts will install it all for me and the chipset
    fan for £35, sound ok?

    Cheers for any advice!

    chris, May 24, 2004

  2. chris

    Hamman Guest

    Make sure you change it quickly, mine stopped for a couple of hours and the
    board never booted again :(

    You can get them from most online retailers ( www.dabs.com
    www.overclockers.co.uk etc) or you can be creative and thermal epoxy an old
    P1 heatsink on

    hamman

    Hamman, May 24, 2004

  3. chris

    chris Guest

    :
    : : > Hi, need some advice!
    : >
    : > Firstly, my abit kx7-333 northbridge chipset fan is on its way out. It
    : > keeps making very scary whirring noises and i can see it not spinning
    : > round properly. So, where on earth can I get a replacement chipset fan?
    : > I have called up Abit but no one is answering. Any vendors out there
    : > who stock these?
    : >
    : Make sure you change it quickly, mine stopped for a couple of hours and the
    : board never booted again :(

    The fan has never actually stopped (thankgod!) but the ball bearings are
    obvioulsy wearing out, or it needs a bit of grease to help it on its
    way. The whirring noises have been going on for months now, but its
    only now I really want to get it fixed as i dont think its doing the
    computer any good!

    : You can get them from most online retailers ( www.dabs.com
    : www.overclockers.co.uk etc) or you can be creative and thermal epoxy an old
    : P1 heatsink on

    From OC: Coolermaster SLC-S41 Northbridge Cooler - Blue LED (SY-004-CM)
    - does that look ok? That will definately fit my Abit KX7-333?

    Cheers,

    chris, May 24, 2004
  4. chris

    Parish Guest

    I've read bad things here (u.c.v) about Overclockers. I'd recommend
    Kustom PCs. The fan will be 40mm I imagine. I bought this Akasa 40mm
    from Kustom PCs for my gfx card (first itmem on page):

    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kustom_PCs_Shop_Case_Misc_Fans_99.html

    Prompt delivery.

    Parish

    Parish, May 24, 2004
  5. chris

    chris Guest

    : chris wrote:
    :
    : > From OC: Coolermaster SLC-S41 Northbridge Cooler - Blue LED (SY-004-CM)
    : > - does that look ok? That will definately fit my Abit KX7-333?
    : >
    :
    : I've read bad things here (u.c.v) about Overclockers. I'd recommend
    : Kustom PCs. The fan will be 40mm I imagine. I bought this Akasa 40mm
    : from Kustom PCs for my gfx card (first itmem on page):
    :
    Ok, seeing as this finally needed to be rectified, I just popped out to
    Maplins and purchased a new 40mm fan. Have now installed the fan and
    binned the old one. It all looks to be working ok! Thankgod *phew*

    Thanks for everyone's advice :)

    Just as a quick aside, can anyone give me any pointers about my PSU and
    whether I do actually need a new one going on my winbond figures?
    Cheers,

    chris, May 24, 2004
  6. chris

    borolad Guest

    Oil it, 4 little black screws, turn over, peel back the white sticker
    - use light / 3 in 1 not WD40 stuff. The whirring noise is the bottom
    of the fan catching the ' quilt ' of fluff and dust jammed into the
    little vanes on the heatsink, clean em!
    Used them, no probs, power cables are shorter than usual on this PSU
    but they still do Midi servers and towers, there are better PSU's but
    it's good gear at 1/2 the price of the better ones

    Purchase and fitting of both for 35£UID sounds ok !
    BoroLad

    borolad, May 24, 2004
  7. chris

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Can't see anything obviously wrong with any figures. Why do you think
    your burning errors are due to PSU fluctuations? If the machine isn't
    crashing or giving any other probs, I'd look at the media or the burner
    itself (they don't last forever, and the first sign of impending doom is
    erratic burning)

    I've used a couple of the 550 W Qtec PSU's. Seem fine. Some people say
    they are overrated (literally) and are the equivalent of a 'good' 300W
    unit.

    Oh, and I use overclockers quite a bit and find them generally good.

    followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
    followed by 'net'

    Gareth Jones, May 24, 2004
  8. chris

    chris Guest

    : In message <>, chris
[...]

    Ok, cool. I really know very little about voltages and PSU's so I rely
    on others! :)

    : Why do you think
    : your burning errors are due to PSU fluctuations? If the machine isn't
    : crashing or giving any other probs, I'd look at the media or the burner
    : itself (they don't last forever, and the first sign of impending doom is
    : erratic burning)

    Well, I'm not entirely sure it is my PSU tbph. Basically, I've had a
    plextor 12x burner in my PC for 3 years, never had a problem with it.
    Then I purchase a new 52x plext0r burner. It just hasn't been reliable
    :( I get 'write errors' on quite a few discs and when my ipod is
    charging the error rate increases. I am tempted to just RMA the damn
    thing with Plextor and get a replacement drive and see if the problem
    was confinded to the drive. Seemingly when I put the drive in 40x speed
    cd's burn fine *but* I use verbatim 52x approved media, so there should
    be no problems burning at that speed.

    I was just hoping the PSU would fix the problem as an under-powered PSU
    *can* give write errors.

    : I've used a couple of the 550 W Qtec PSU's. Seem fine. Some people say
    : they are overrated (literally) and are the equivalent of a 'good' 300W
    : unit.

    I am still surprised at just how well this Joy Jyu (sp?) 300w PSU works.

    chris, May 24, 2004
  9. chris

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Whenever I'm burning, I tend never to do anything else with the machine.
    It is possible the ipod is draining a bit too much current, but then
    again it just might be using some kind of pulsing charge circuit. This
    won't be good for anything else in the system and maybe its pushing the
    built in regulation circuitry of the burner a bit too far.

    FWIW, I never burn at full speed as I've found you will get the odd
    error (and with some brands of media, every other disk is a coaster)
    Call me over cautious, but unless I'm in a '30 sec before I'm out of the
    door' situation, I'd be burning at 24 or 32 speed and I'd leave well
    alone and go make a nice pot of tea until its finished ;-)

    Gareth Jones, May 24, 2004
  10. chris

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I dunno, to me all your voltages are off. 2.7 on Vbat looks very
    wrong. It's wrong by 10%. In fact, all your voltages look low by
    10%. This suggests that the motherboard is measuring low by 10%.
    Nothing really to worry about in regards to mobo or psu.

    I too have heard that a poor psu can cause burn problems.

    I have kx7 mobo (too) but with Antec 330W psu. I would note to you
    that I cannot get consistent good cd burns over 16x (over 2.4x for
    dvds). I have not isolated the problem as being a hardware
    setting/limitation or a software setting/limitation.

    Now with your post, I guess I need to investigate if my burn problem
    is psu (hardware) related. I would be interested to hear if a new psu
    fixes your problem.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, May 25, 2004
  11. chris

    chris Guest

    : 2.7 on Vbat looks very
    : wrong. It's wrong by 10%. In fact, all your voltages look low by
    : 10%.
    :
    /me thinks you are not looking in the right columns ;)
    You are looking at the minimum levels. My vbat reading is 3.04.

    chris, May 25, 2004
  12. Your Vio and Vddr look a little high, but otherwise all okay. Is this
    while you're burning a CD and charging your iPod?

    Mike Tomlinson, May 25, 2004
  13. chris

    chris Guest

    : In article <>, chris
    :
    : >http://chris.dsl.lab6.com/~chris/misc/winbond.jpg - those are my winbond
    : >readings - can anyone offer advice on them?
    :
    : Your Vio and Vddr look a little high, but otherwise all okay. Is this
    : while you're burning a CD and charging your iPod?
    :
    Fraid not. However, they dont change when I burn a cd or am charging my
    Ipod so I guess that's ok..?

    chris, May 25, 2004
  14. "Gareth Jones" wrote
    They seem to have taken a pasting in the Romulus2.com feedback over the past
    couple of months, although a couple of my colleagues recommend them.

    Cornelius J Rat, May 26, 2004
  15. chris

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, May 26, 2004
  16. chris

    h2so4 Guest

    I read a comment a in this week's Micromart implying that Qtec PSUs do not
    have a good reputation. This was a response to a chap who had blown two
    motherboards using a Qtec PSU. The Micromart advisor said something to the
    effect that there are good PSUs and there are Qtec PSUs. This confirms some
    barely remembered negative comments I came across when I was researching for
    a new PSU. I have no direct knowledge of QTEC PSUs but I think I'd invest a
    few pounds more for a "named" brand with a good reputation ( I bought a 480w
    Thermaltake and it's been fine, but there are a number of PSUs out there by
    Enermax, Vantec, Globalwin, etc. You pays yer money...).

    As for your chipset fan, I got a replacement from Abit in the Netherlands
    simply by sending them an email with my motherboard serial number specifying
    the problem. The new fan arrived, gratis and post free after a couple of
    weeks. I fear that this dodgy fan is yet another "feature" on current Abit
    boards as these things seem to be failing by the score.

    Fitting a PSU and a chipset fan are very simple task that shouldn't take
    more than 20 to 30 minutes. If you're satisfied that the bloke in your your
    local computer shop is able to count his own thumbs without prompting,
    thirty five quid seems not a bad investment to avoid having to carry out
    these fiddly jobs yourself.

    h2so4, May 26, 2004
  17. chris

    nsj Guest