    expected for CPU and GFX (both air cooled).
    System will never go SLI but a Pysichs card might at some point be added.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Thomas Andersson, Jul 10, 2010

  2. Thomas Andersson

    Le Forgeron Guest

    Le 10/07/2010 20:44, Thomas Andersson nous fit lire :
    Short of the pci soundcard, I have a Seasonix X-750 for that kind of
    system (also 4 hard drives, 1 dvd/rw, 470 GTX, just another i7 model).
    Run fine. No problem (X-750 is a 80+gold, if you take another PSU, take
    that into account (loosing 10% of 750 can be important)

    Back of 470 box says: minimum 550W with 38A on 12V rail.

    Le Forgeron, Jul 10, 2010

  3. I have a Corsair TX650W in the old system, maybe that is cutting it close
    then. Maybe a good 750 as yours (I favour Enermax PSUs whenever possible).
    Thanks for the info.

    Thomas Andersson, Jul 10, 2010
  4. Thomas Andersson

    Paul Guest

    I5-750 95 watts. About 8.8 amps from +12V, at 90% Vcore efficiency.

    GTX 470 is here.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gigabyte-gf-gtx400_6.html#sect0

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gigabyte-gf-gtx400/gtx470_plines.png

    12V @ 17.4 amps.

    Four hard drives, 12V @ 0.6A, 5V @ 1A each, gives 12V @ 2.4A.
    (Many drives now, are better than that.)

    Cooling fans 12V @ 0.5 amps.

    One DVD, 12V @ 1.5A, 5V @ 1.5A (boiler plate max) gives 12V @ 1.5A.

    Mobo and RAM is 50 watts from 3.3V and/or 5V.

    Throw in another 10 watts for +5VSB powering USB stuff.

    *******

    Total amps 8.8+17.4+2.4+0.5+1.5= 30.6 amps

    Total power - 12*30.6 + 20 + 7.5 + 50 + 10 = 454.7 watts

    Compare to:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

    +3.3V @ 24A, +5V @ 30A, +12V @ 52A, -12V @ 0.8A, +5VSB @ 3.0A

    More than enough amps to meet 12 @ 30.1 amps.

    170W combined power on 3.3/5V is enough for 77.5 watts load.

    Overall power rating is sufficient to handle 454.7 watt load.

    Your current supply should be enough. And the TX650W has good efficiency.

    http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/tx650w_efficiency.jpg

    ( http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx )

    As long as it has enough PCI Express power connectors, you're all set.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 10, 2010
  5. Thomas Andersson

    deimos Guest

    Any Corsair 80+ certified of 650W or greater.

    deimos, Jul 10, 2010
  6. Thomas Andersson

    Tom Lake Guest

    I have a Dell XPS 9000 with a 475 W ps. I'm using a Core i7 980X, 24 GB RAM, three
    2 GB WD hard drives and an nVidia GTX 275 with no problem playing games at full
    res with all options.

    The GTX 275 has a TDP of 219 W while the 470 has a TDP of 215 W. I'm upgrading to
    a 470 to save 4 W and have almost twice the performance of the 275. I would think a
    good 600 W ps (Dell measures constant output unlike some ps makers) should be fine.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Jul 14, 2010