PSU's +12v Rails & Overclocked Bartons

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Wayne Youngman, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Hello all,

    it's me again Mr Theory Sponge!. . .today's topic is PSU's

    I was advised that the PSU (300x Antec Smart) in my yet to be AMD built
    system was gonna be a little lacking for my needs, so I did a little
    research (after I ordered everything. . doh!) and had a good read of this
    article. . . .

    FiringSquad - Choosing The Right Power Supply
    http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/

    Following the rules set-out in this review I worked out what I think to be
    my power req's on all 3 rails, (think I over-estimated?)

    +3.3V +5V +12V
    6.9 20.15 14.45 Total

    SMARTPOWER 20 30 15 - 300w SL300S (my PSU)
    www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl300s_spe.html

    Other Antec models for reference:
    SMARTPOWER 28 35 16 - 350w SL350
    SMARTPOWER 28 38 18 - 400w SL400
    SMARTPOWER 28 40 20 - 450w SL450
    TRUEPOWER 28 36 20 - 430W
    TRUEPOWER 30 38 22 - 480W
    TRUEBLUE 30 38 22 - 480w
    TRUEPOWER 32 40 24 - 550W

    Looks like I will be cutting it close on the +12v rail. Now in my estimates
    I put down 7v (on the +12v rail) for my CPU's power (AMD 2500+) and that's
    not including overclocking. Can anyone advise me what they think the *power
    draw* will be from my CPU when it is overclocked? I will see how I get on,
    maybe I will get away with it or maybe I will have to shell out for a new
    PSU. . .

    Thanks,

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Hi,

    in case my previous post was too detailed, to put it simply what I was
    asking mainly is what *draw* would a AMD Barton 2500+ take from the +12v
    rail?

    If you are new at this stuff (a bit like me!) then I suggest to read this

    Wayne Youngman, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Wayne Youngman

    neopolaris Guest

    I have never bought an Antec because of the lower 12+v rail. No one ever
    seems to complain about them though-quite the opposite actually. Still I
    continue to buy Enermax power supplys.

    neopolaris
    ____________
    KT3 Ultra XP2500+ Barton 256MB PC2700
    KT3 Ultra ARU XP1700+ TBRED B 512MB PC2700
    KT3 Ultra ARU XP1700+ TBRED B 256MB PC2700
    AD11 XP1700+ TBRED B 512MB PC2100
    K7T Turbo2 XP1800+ Palamino 384MB PC133
    P5A K6-III 400 96MB PC100
    P5A-B K6-III 400 192MB PC100

    neopolaris, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Wayne Youngman

    Matt Guest

    On those rules, you're also cutting it fine on total power as well!
    In fact, with a 280w combined rating for the 3 major lines, the
    estimate is OVER.

    An Antec might just hold it together, a lesser name would probably not
    .... the individual rail ratings, and the combined 3.3v/5v are as good
    or better than the no-name 400w model in my machine.

    If you go for a cheaper name, then only a 550w model is worth
    considering.

    If you are SURE you over-estimated (and the graphics card is hard to
    call), then you may be ok - but I'd avoid overclocking - a 300w PSU,
    even a good one, is really not the thing to be feeding an
    "overclockers delight" with - if you push the processor, the graphics,
    and stack a few extra delta fans on it......

    Matt, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Wayne Youngman

    Steve Guest

    Wayne, can you please let me know what psu you ended up with and how is it
    working. I'm currently going through the same delema with psu's and my
    system isn't too different from yours.

    Thanks

    Doug

    Steve, Sep 10, 2003

  6. Hi,
    I got a Barton 2500+ and it's running sweet!. Due to time constraints I
    still haven't finished it, but everything is pretty much hooked up. I did
    some simple overclocking tests running the CPU @ 11 x 200MHz-FSB for 2.2GHz
    (XP3200+) and it worked great at default voltage? (1.6v). I was using
    Mem-Test x86 on a floppy to test the O/C. I didn't do any stress testing in
    windows yet at this speed, but when I do I will make another post (1-2
    days). I still haven't put in the last of my cooling fans and run the
    system overclocked, there is a small possibilty that running an Antec 300w
    may not be enough juice for my system. . .

    2500+ running on a NF7-S is a great package, I really appreciate the extra
    GHz after working on a PIII550 for some years. . . .price is great too!

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Wayne Youngman

    Steve Guest

    Looks like l'll end up buying the Eagle 350w (V-tech)
    stats are as follows.

    +12v 16A, +5v 35A, +3.3 28A

    I've also found a simialr ps with a 17A +12v rail but l'm no too sure about
    it. I did my calculations, as from firing squad and came up with 14.4A on
    +12v so l'm hoping it will be ok when o/c'ed. Time will tell.

    Doug

    Steve, Sep 11, 2003