Putting a 100gb 5400rpm or 60gb 7200rpm drive in a Dell Inspiron 1150?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by gaikokujinkyofusho, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Hi, i just got off the phone for the third time with Dell tech support.
    They can be really accommodating when something dies within the
    warranty but when it comes to tech knowledge they are lacking. I was
    told 3 diff things by 3 diff representatives. I wanted to either put in
    a 60gb 7200rpm OR 100gb 5400 drive to replace my intolerably slow/small
    60gb 4500 drive. None of the answers the reps gave me told me i could
    put either of these into the notebook i have, but because they were so
    inconsistent i wanted to double check (or find out how i can double
    check).

    Does anyone know if either of those drives can fit in this model
    notebook, or can anyone tell me how i can find out (without consulting
    Dell).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    PS Another reason for not using Dell would be that i can find both of
    those drives for a ton cheaper (almost half the price) than i can find
    them on the Dell site.

    gaikokujinkyofusho, Jan 2, 2006

  2. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Noozer Guest

    Take out the old drive... are th connectors the same? If so it should work.

    Noozer, Jan 2, 2006

  3. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not necessarily, they arent all the same thickness.

    Rod Speed, Jan 2, 2006
  4. gaikokujinkyofusho

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I've replaced drives in several laptops (not Dells). I think the main
    thing you need to worry about are:

    1) How difficult is it to get to (remove and install) the drive. With
    some of the laptops that I upgraded, I had to almost take the whole
    machine apart to get to the drive. Most modern laptops have a
    compartment that is fairly easy to get to, but you should check.

    2) As far as fit, I think that almost all, if not all use standard 2.5"
    drives. Some older 2.5" drives were "thicker", 12.5mm height, but I
    think that almost all, if not all, newer drives are 9.5mm height, and
    the 9.5" drives usually will be able to replace an existing 12.5mm
    drive, so I think that you should be ok.

    3) Some laptops, including a Compaq R3370US that I recently upgraded,
    have a connector adapter attached to the drive connector, to turn it
    into a right-angle connector. If that's the case, you'll probably need
    to pry the adapter off the existing drive after you remove it, and then
    put the adapter onto the new drive before installing it.

    Jim

    ohaya, Jan 2, 2006
  5. gaikokujinkyofusho

    ohaya Guest

    ohaya, Jan 2, 2006
  6. It's not that they are lacking knowledge, it's because Dell support is
    all the way out in INDIA! The U.S. Dell employees are too busy
    installing Spyware on some helpless sap's new DELL before shipping it
    out to him .

    My suggestion to you is make sure your next PC is a Hewlett Packard or
    a Compaq.

    Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with the 15 inch Cock, Jan 2, 2006
  7. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Cool_X Guest

    Erich,
    HP or Compaq??? You have to be joking!!!

    I will never buy HP ever after they bought Compaq, because HP never made any good PCs AFAIK (I
    used to listen to somebody complain about how often HP business machines failed who worked for
    a company here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada called Convergys that was outsourced by HP), Walter
    Hewlett, the last descendant of the company's founders was kicked off the board of HP for
    opposing the Compaq merger, and right after the takeover, HP *conveniently* decided to make all
    business laptops incompatible with previously supported docking stations. I think the only
    reason they bought Compaq, who did make some nice business PCs, was because their PCs weren't
    high enough quality to be able to compete with Dell.

    What amazes me about your post is that HP has become famous for offshoring their tech support
    long before Dell got into it, and to this day, Dell has opened up a call centre (albeit for
    business clients and not 24/7 yet) right here in Edmonton, one of our city's largest employers.

    The only thing I'm not clear on is when they started to offshore, because that certainly wasn't
    done back while I owned a Dimension XPS T600, a desktop that cost $3500 CAD new and was worth
    $550 CAD 3 years later. It was originally purchased in September 1999.

    Back to the OP's question, I would say that he should ask Dell what HDs they say are compatible
    with the machine (read: which HDs they would like to sell him), and simply buy a similar HD
    from another manufacturer, as the OEM doesn't matter if the connector will fit and Dell says
    that a same spec HD they sell will work.

    But, I ask, why doesn't the OP consider getting an external drive which is guaranteed to work,
    or burning more DVDs?

    Cool_X

    SNIP

    Cool_X, Jan 2, 2006
  8. gaikokujinkyofusho

    ohaya Guest

    Cool_X,

    I would guess that Dell support would likely tell the OP that they won't
    support another manufacturer's hard drive. The same thing happened to
    me when I asked HP's support about their drive connector when I was
    upgrading my son's Compaq R3370US last week.

    Jim

    ohaya, Jan 2, 2006
  9. gaikokujinkyofusho

    kony Guest

    Yes, the RPM does not matter and if it came with 60GB it's
    of an age that it should start out supporting at least to
    128GB capacity if not beyond.

    IMO, better to get the 7K2 RPM version, RPM seems to matter
    more than size or cache on a notebook drive (presuming same
    generation of technology).

    As Rod noted, the one issue may be size.

    kony, Jan 2, 2006
  10. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Cool_X Guest

    Jim,
    No, that wasn't what I was talking about! I know that Dell (and other OEMs) won't support 3rd
    party components that aren't officially endorsed by that OEM, so what I was saying is that the
    OP should ask Dell about what HD they'd like to sell him, find out the specs like speed and
    thickness, and then buy a similar HD from another manufacturer. I'm only trying to say that if
    Dell wants to sell the OP a 7200 RPM HD that's 9.5 MM thick, then the OP could go get another
    drive with those specs for much cheaper, or at least verify that the drives he's already found
    will work or not. Like I said, in my experience, since HDs have to follow standards for width
    regardless of their OEM, then the laptop's caddy should bridge the connection. Another thing
    he could do is maybe find out who manufactures his current HD and/or the one Dell would like to
    sell him...

    I still think that an external HD would be less expensive and less hassle, but the OP didn't
    say exactly what he needed the extra space for. Back on Boxing Day, Best Buy Canada had an
    Acomdata 250 GB external USB 2.0 HD for about $85 USD, down from about $190 USD, which I almost
    bought due to the 55% discount. I think he contradicted himself when stating that he wanted a
    faster drive when he first said he needed more space, and I can't imagine how a 5400 RPM 60 GB
    HD is intolerably slow/small, he must have been previously working with 10k SCSI server drives
    previously or something...

    Cool_X

    Cool_X, Jan 2, 2006
  11. gaikokujinkyofusho

    ohaya Guest

    Cool_X,

    Thanks for the clarification.

    BTW, I think that he meant to say that he (currently) has a 4200 RPM
    60GB drive (he had a typo, where he said "4500")...

    Jim

    ohaya, Jan 2, 2006
  12. gaikokujinkyofusho

    ohaya Guest

    kony,

    Agreed...

    To Gaiko,

    I forgot to mention that the drive I put into my son's R3370US recently
    was an 80GB 7200 RPM Hitachi (7K100) with an 8MB cache, and the laptop
    (which has an AMD 64 processor) is noticeably faster with the new
    drive. I'm really glad that we went with it vs. a 5400 RPM model that I
    was debating about...

    Jim

    ohaya, Jan 2, 2006
  13. Really? Are you talking about the connector pins?

    Gerhard

    Gerhard Fiedler, Jan 2, 2006
  14. gaikokujinkyofusho

    ohaya Guest

    Gerhard,

    I think that he meant the "height" of the drive. Some older laptops
    used 12.5mm drives (vs. the 9.5mm ones)...

    Jim

    ohaya, Jan 2, 2006
  15. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Peter Guest

    Beside fitting a new hard drive, make sure that a new drive dissipates no
    more heat than the old one. Failing that you may shorten its life to just a
    couple of months.

    Peter, Jan 2, 2006
  16. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    I had this problem when I upgraded an older Inspiron Dell 5000e from a
    12G 4200 rpm to a 40G 5400 rpm drive. The new drive died right at a
    year, and the replacement drive died after a few more months. The
    warranty drive from the first failure is in there now. Gotta love
    those daily backups!

    The laptop's a lot more sensitive to dust buildup than it was before
    as well, and needs to be blown out once a quarter. The original HD
    was working fine when I took it out after several years.

    Neil Maxwell, Jan 3, 2006
  17. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Atom Ant Guest

    Make sure you get a Laptop Drive to replace the one you got. They make
    them in different thicknesses. You may find a revue somewhere telling you
    how cool a specific drive runs. The manufacturer probably has some
    spec's. Some drives probably run cooler than others.

    Atom Ant, Jan 4, 2006
  18. While I don't dispute your account of what happen, you causal link
    between the failure and either RPM of the drive or heat / power
    dissipation is only your speculation (which is not changed by the fact
    that it happened twice).

    The simple fact is that it has become an unofficial standard that the
    hard drive in a laptop is allocated 5 volts at 500ma, and no more
    (which, conviently, is also the power limit for what you can draw from a
    USB port).

    That is 2.5 watts.

    I have seen no modern drives that exceed 500ma, rotational speed not
    withstanding (although I have some very old drives, under 1 gigabyte,
    that draw 700-800ma).

    Unless you can show that the power requirements (current draw) of one
    drive exceeds that of another, any conclusion that the drive is dying
    because IT generates more heat is bogus. However, some laptops subject
    the drive itself to [much] more heat (from the laptop, not the drive)
    than other laptops. And some drives may be more sensitive to heat than
    other drives, rotational speed not withstanding.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 4, 2006
  19. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Peter Guest

  20. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Rod Speed Guest

    In fact the low end Dells are notorious for killing hard
    drives and its clear that's a temperature problem if
    you monitor the hard drive SMART temperature.

    It wouldnt be at all surprising if a replacement drive that
    uses more power gets hot enough to kill the drive and it
    wouldnt be hard to prove that using the SMART temps.
    No such animal.
    Your claim on that 'unofficial standard' is completely bogus.
    Irrelevant to whether low end Dells which are marginal
    at best with the hard drive temp do get worse with a
    drive that takes more power than the original drive did.
    Trivial to prove his claim using the SMART temps.
    Waffle. What matters hard drive death wise is the temperature of the drive.
    And clearly a drive which is marginal at best temperature wise
    is certain to get hotter if a replacement drive uses more power.

    Rod Speed, Jan 4, 2006