    data over to another hdd.

    What do I need ?

    thanks

    Jean, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Jean

    Rick Guest

    What type of partition is on the drive (fat, ntfs etc) and what version
    of Windows are you trying to see it under?

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Jean

    Jean Guest

    Hello Rick,

    It came with windows 98, fat 32 partition. I am trying to see it under XP pro.
    If thats a problem, I have access to another PC with 98se and 2k pro.

    Thanks!

    Jean, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Jean

    Tom Scales Guest

    Should work just fine. Nothing magic about a Compaq, even with those non-DOS
    partitions.

    Check it out in XP Disk manager

    Tom Scales, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Jean

    Jean Guest

    Really ? I checked disk management and it shows that disk is there. It doesn't
    show paritions or any drive letters though .

    Jean, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Jean

    Tom Scales Guest

    I've done it a few times, but it has been a long, long time. I assume you
    have it jumpered properly?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 16, 2003
  7. Jean

    Tom Scales Guest

    I assume Cable Select was your first choice? That's my only remaining
    suggestion.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 16, 2003
  8. Jean

    the yeti Guest

    There is nothing special about a Compaq Hard Drive. It's the same as
    any other hard drive. Plug it in on the IDE cable at the connector
    point closest to the motherboard. Jumper it as slave. Plug in your
    other Hard drive on the top of the IDE cable jumper it as Master.
    Reboot and go. If that dosn't work then jumper both HD's as cable
    select. There is only 6 possible combinations, it dosn't take that
    long to figure out if you have the right jumper settings for each HD.
    If it dosn't work then the Hard Drive is probally toast. Put it in a
    plastic bag in the freezer for 2 hours and then hook it up, sometimes
    that works.

    Or try Knoppix to access the hard Drive.

    the yeti, Aug 16, 2003
  9. Jean

    Jean Guest

    The problem is not with jumpering the drive. Like I said earlier BIOS and Disk
    Management knows that the physical drive is there. Its just not recognizing
    its partition(s).

    thanks anyways.

    Jean, Aug 16, 2003
  10. Jean

    - Bobb - Guest

    Jean,
    It sounds like you know your way around this stuff, what does FDISK show ?
    Does it recognize both partitions ? Can you see them with Norton GHOST ?
    How about putting it in alone and from floppy trying " fdisk/mbr " in DOS ?
    Hopefully rewriting the mbr would help.

    good luck.

    - Bobb -, Aug 22, 2003
  11. Jean

    Jean Guest

    Thanks for the input. For some reason my abit vp6 with hpt370
    controller didn't let WinXp populate the partition table on the actual
    drive. I tried it a couple more times and got it to work, I was able
    to salvage all of the data from the hdd onto another drive .

    Thanks guys.

    Jean, Aug 27, 2003