putting sdram into a four year old toshiba sattelite (problem)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by tronic5572, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. tronic5572

    tronic5572 Guest

    Running windows ME.

    SDRAM 133MHZ
    RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB

    Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
    boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
    (reboots). Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.

    The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
    into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).

    Can anybody give me any ideas? I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
    it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
    package with that.

    Thankyou

    Daniel Fisher

    tronic5572, Mar 14, 2005

  2. tronic5572

    JHEM Guest

    Why not? I run WiFi enabled laptops with 64MB of installed RAM! Adding more
    memory won't have any effect on Broadband speed.

    Have you tried PC100 memory? Sounds like the unit is choking on the PC133,
    something a lot of laptops are prone to.

    Care to share the specific Satellite model of the unit with us or is this a
    test of our psychic abilities?

    JHEM, Mar 14, 2005

  3. tronic5572

    Quaoar Guest

    What laptop is this? With only 32MB RAM it sounds like an old Toshiba
    430CDT or similar originally designed for WFW. If it is, the only RAM
    that would work was a 16MB chip for a total of 48MB RAM.

    Quaoar, Mar 14, 2005
  4. tronic5572

    Emphatic Guest

    I'm running a Satellite 1400 which is coming up 3 years old.

    When I upgraded memory from 128 to 640mb I HAD to buy Kingston Ram, and
    generic brands aren't accepted by the machine.

    Toshiba has obviously partnered with Kingston to add some sort of parity to
    check whether it's the right ram or not.
    Cost me twice as much for the Ram.

    Smart Toshiba Bastards

    Emphatic, Mar 15, 2005
  5. I don't accept your premise. No Toshiba machine that I've ever worked
    on has used proprietary RAM, and I don't believe that the 1400 does
    either (although I've not worked on that specific model). There are a
    zillion kinds of RAM, some more common than others, but I am confident
    that if you found non-Kingston RAM of the correct type -- and I'm sure
    that it's available -- that it would work.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 15, 2005
  6. tronic5572

    CeeBee Guest

    You're absolutely right - it's utter nonsense. There's certainly no
    Kingston RAM in my Toshiba's expansion slot.

    --
    CeeBee

    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."

    CeeBee, Mar 15, 2005
  7. tronic5572

    Echy Guest

    If you supply the model number I am sure you will get help. without it,
    youmay get well meaning confusion. e.g. I have dozens of tech. manuals
    for Toshiba's - happy to try & help if I know the model. Stacks of
    others will do the same if you can post these details.
    --
    Regards
    Echy

    Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
    www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

    Echy, Mar 15, 2005
  8. tronic5572

    tronic5572 Guest

    I will get back to you on this thread with the model number (silly me).
    I am not with the laptop at the moment.

    tronic5572, Mar 15, 2005
  9. tronic5572

    tronic5572 Guest

    I don't know the model of the laptop yet .. will get back to you on
    this thread.

    tronic5572, Mar 15, 2005
  10. tronic5572

    tronic5572 Guest

    ok thanks

    tronic5572, Mar 15, 2005
  11. tronic5572

    tronic5572 Guest

    Hi Melbourne, Australia.

    I will find out the model number of my machine soon (not with machine).

    Thankyou for your time.

    tronic5572, Mar 15, 2005
  12. tronic5572

    tronic5572 Guest

    Hello -

    I've finally got the model number of the toshiba satellite with the
    problem

    Its PS171E-01J93-EN

    Anybody got any ideas?

    tronic5572, Mar 27, 2005
  13. According to this, max RAM is the onboard 32MB + 128MB = 160MB:
    http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Toshiba_Satellite_1710CDS_PS171E_01J93_EN

    Note that the bus speed given is 100MHz, so the onboard 32mb is likely
    PC100 rather than PC133 as you mentioned originally. PC133 all _used_
    to be backwards compatible to PC100, until about the late 90's. So
    you might need to get a stick of 128mb PC100 or older PC133 (one that
    says specifically that it is backward compatible, or one that is
    purchased through a website with an online configurator, such as PNY,
    Crucial, etc).

    Sometimes, a laptop will accept more RAM than the specs (typically
    requiring a BIOS update) - this occurred if mfrs came out with larger
    RAM following the introduction of a laptop. So there is a chance that
    it might take a stick of 256mb PC100 or older/compatible PC133.
    However, given that this laptop is only four years old (Celeron 600,
    according to the first Google hit I looked at), this is probably not
    the case. You'd have to look at the specs for the motherbaord/chipset
    for a better idea.

    Anonymous Jack, Mar 28, 2005
  14. tronic5572

    tronic5572 Guest

    thankyou will try something based around what you have explained

    thankyou very much

    tronic5572, Apr 19, 2005