PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable message Help

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by ILuvScoobyDoo, May 6, 2008.

  1. ILuvScoobyDoo

    ILuvScoobyDoo

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    When I start I get the COMPAQ screen and it looks as if it's going to boot, but then I get this:

    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable

    I can't even get to DOS mode.:mad:

    i've taken the hard drive out and reinserted it, it's a Compaq deskpro if that means anything.

    The Comp was sitting in my friends closet for about a 3 weeks. she was having the same problem with it but when i pluged it in for the first time at my house it loaded just fine. This messaged popped up when I turned it on agian the next day.

    Please Some Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

    I read somewhere that the watch battery that desktops have go bad just like every battery. it is a old comp and i dont think the battery has been replaced. should I try that?

    Last edited: May 6, 2008
    ILuvScoobyDoo, May 6, 2008
  2. ILuvScoobyDoo

    PAULM594

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2012
    BIOS is checked out when computer is switched on and reports configuration, if set as 1st boot device hard drive at Bios boots here, if Bios is set to another device it boots there, 1st boot sequence is your 1st boot choice, if hard drive is the choice initialization activates a mechanical arm where mounted on its end is a head configuration comprising of magnetic small boxlike shapes the arm and its associated parts directionalises its self over to the outside cylinders on the platter/plate associated with the disc in the hard drive and attempts to read a ring of coded data and locates sector 1 and an area of data where reading executes from MBR (MASTER BOOT RECORD) and tells computer what PARTITION to boot in this case it is drive "C". Since "C" is active partition on after the scan boot reports on 2 "FILE ALLOCATION TABLES" known as FAT and provides size, here is the record recordings of files on hard disc, after reading the 1st FAT, 2nd FAT contains "ROOT DIRECTORY" where 2 hidden system files are located and a "KEY FILE" called "COMMAND.COM" boot process initializes windows start. PARTITIONING can in hard drive takes on other assigned letters "D" "E" "F" ETC. Where no partitioning has occurred next hardware device CD-ROM IS assigned the letter "D", and this can be your 1st BOOT device rather than hard drive, it’s optional. A VIRUS can replace MBR with themselves and replace MBR somewhere else.

    PAULM594, Feb 23, 2012