Q: 3200XP and Vantec Aeroflow

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Eyman, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Eyman

    Eyman Guest

    Hi,

    Ive got a 3200XP with a Vantec Aeroflow (VA4-C7040) heatsink with Artic
    Silver 5 as well as two 12cm fans located in the front and rear of the case.

    In Sydney at the moment current outdoor temperatures are between 25-30
    degrees and the indoor air temps are about 20-25 degrees.

    Motherboard monitor with the A7N8X-Deluxe Inf files reports the socket as
    50-55 degrees and the diode as 60-65 degrees in idle.

    Ive looked at the vantec site and cant find any details where this heatsink
    is rated for a 3200XP. Details of the cooler can be found here
    http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html under VA4-C7040.

    The diode on my previous 2600XP (2.08Ghz) would rarely go over 50 degrees
    compared to 60-65 dgrees for the 3200XP (2.20Ghz). I understand that the
    3200Xp is a more sophisticated processor but i didnt expect temps to be this
    high. Also there arent any other heat producing components in the case other
    than a 9600Pro and two IDE drives as well as the ususal stuff (floppy, cd
    rom etc).

    The fan is seated properly and the core and heatsink base has a thin but
    adequate application of artic silver 5.

    The questions I have are:

    1 - Is the vantec aeroflow sufficent to cool a 3200XP?
    2 - Are these temps normal for a 3200XP?
    3 - Should I just buy a new cooler, and if so which one?
    4 - Should I just keep the setup and wait till the summers over?

    Thanks

    Eyman

    Eyman, Feb 3, 2004

    Is it stable? Because if it is, you don't need to sweat it (yet). Granted
    it's nice to run cool but as long as it's stable under full load then it's
    no biggie.

    If you want a new heatsink, get a Thermalright or ThermalTake (volcano 11 or
    12).

    Cheers.

    Doug Whitesell, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Eyman

    Wes Newell Guest

    Can't say, you didn't report case temp, so there's no way for me to tell.
    I'd say take the side cover off and see if that drops cpu temps after
    about 20 minutes off. If it drops a lot, then you have a case cooling
    problem. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    Wes Newell, Feb 3, 2004
  4. I'm going to ask a couple of questions here, as I have the same CPU, HSF and
    motherboard operating here @ 22C room, 25C case and 38 - 44C CPU (44 max
    under full load) temperatures. I realize these questions may seem very
    basic, but...
    1. What is your case temperature? Wes' suggestion to remove the side cover
    and see where your CPU temperature goes is pertinent. If the CPU temperature
    goes down significantly, you have a case airflow problem.
    2. That rear 120mm fan is mounted to exhaust the hot air out of the case,
    right? And, the front 120mm is bringing cool air into the case?

    Peter van der Goes, Feb 3, 2004