    Would these faster drives be compatible with the existing toshiba hardware?

    Thanks

    Eyman

    Eyman, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Eyman

    Quaoar Guest

    Tom's hardware did a review of a Hitachi series of 4200,5400,7200
    drives. The conclusion was the differential in price from 5400 to 7200
    was hard to justify given the marginal performance increase. I'll post
    back the reference.

    Quaoar, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Eyman

    verktyg Guest

    Bull Pucky!

    I upgraded my T20 from the Hitachi 6Gb 4200 RPM HDD that came with the
    system to a new 60Gb 7200 RPM drive with 8MB of cache. Programs load more
    than twice as fast and I can rip CDs in half of the time it took with the
    old drive - I timed the results and also ran HDDTach!

    From time to time, Tom's Hardware has an agenda!

    To answer the OP's question, it depends a lot on whether his laptop supports
    UDMA 100 (ATA 100). Putting a fast drive on an old machine that only
    supports UDMA 33 or slower protocol will not result in much of an increase
    if any.

    A fast ATA 100 HDD will improve HDD performance on a ATA 66 system if only
    because disk seek and access times are lower.

    Chas.

    verktyg, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Verktyg, you misread the post you replied to.

    You went from 4200 to 7200. The poster was discussing the differential
    between 5400 and 7200.

    Everyone agrees that 4200 -> 5400 is visibly faster.

    However, the improvement from 5400 -> 7200 is more controversial.

    Richard Grossman, Jan 19, 2004

  5. Actually - it look more like _you_ misread it :)

    He was asking about compatibilty - wasn't he ?

    In my case (also T20 as it happens), I found the difference from 4200 to 5400

    was noticeable, but I'd hesitate to say dramatic.

    In a T20 - don't forget 9.5mm is your maximum thickness - 12.5mm drives are a no go.

    Martin Slaney, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Eyman

    Quaoar Guest

    Try reading the actual words in the response.

    Quaoar, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Eyman

    Eyman Guest

    Hi

    thanks for the responses.

    the satellite 3020 can run at ATA-100 speed.

    the thickness of 9.5mm is something I'll look out for now.

    is the 9.5mm standard for toshiba laptops?

    thanks

    Eyman

    Eyman, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Eyman

    danco Guest

    Yes.

    Most recent laptops will not accept thicker drives either.
    BTW, a thicker drive (such as 12.5mm) would likely be an OLD drive.

    danco, Jan 19, 2004

  9. Not that old - the first generation high-capacity 5400 IBM/Hitachi
    drives - like 40GB 5400 were 12.5mm. I was offered one a year or so ago
    when I was hankering after a 5400 drive. I think they fitted as standard
    to A series Thinkpad.

    Martin Slaney, Jan 20, 2004
  10. Most of your speed increase came from 6GB to 60GB upgrade. Having 10 times
    capacity on the similar media means higher density of data on the media -
    10 times in fact. Which gives about 3-4 times increase in linear density -
    that's how much faster drive reads/writes sequential data. No wonder we
    can capture digital video to 60GB 4200 rpm laptop drive (same drive for
    video and OS) without any problem these days. Try it with 6GB drive.

    There you go.

    Alexei

    Alexei Boukirev, Jan 20, 2004
  11. Eyman

    verktyg Guest

    High density on the disk is a big factor plus the 60Gb is a single platter
    drive. The newer Hitachi drives have a new type of read/write head which
    also contributes to the speed. More importantly is the 8MB cache.

    Chas.

    verktyg, Jan 20, 2004
  12. Eyman

    verktyg Guest

    Thanks, Chas.

    verktyg, Jan 20, 2004
  13. Eyman

    Chris Allen Guest

    This would be quite impossible, given the current status of
    production arial density combined with the fact that higher-RPM
    hard drives never exceed the density of concurrent lower-RPM
    hard drives.

    Hitachi's 7,200 RPM drive has two platters.

    -Chris

    Chris Allen, Jan 20, 2004
  14. Eyman

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Tom's hardware is IMO full of it -- at least in this case. I replaced
    my Thinkpad's 5400rpm drive with the Hitachi 7K60 (7200rpm), and the
    performance increase was markedly better than "marginal".

    Donkey Agony, Jan 20, 2004
  15. Eyman

    FulanoDeTal Guest

    Did I not read recently that the Hitachi 60 gig x 7200 rpm had a
    reputation for failing quickly?

    FulanoDeTal, Jan 20, 2004
  16. Actually - it looks more like _you_ misread it...

    Maybe your newsreader's thread-sorting code is broken.

    He replied to this message:
    To which *he* replied:
    [etc.]

    To which I replied, well, that's where you came in so you know what I said.

    PS:
    Don't tell anyone<g>, but: I have jammed a 12.5mm drive in to replace a
    9.5mm. Sure I had to ditch the sound insulation, the carrier, and some
    other good stuff, but it's been working for 2 1/2 years in a laptop that
    gets moved around every day.

    Richard Grossman, Jan 21, 2004
  17. Eyman

    verktyg Guest

    Where did you see that info?

    Chas.

    verktyg, Jan 21, 2004
  18. Eyman

    verktyg Guest

    This would be quite impossible, given the current status of
    production arial density combined with the fact that higher-RPM
    hard drives never exceed the density of concurrent lower-RPM
    hard drives.

    Hitachi's 7,200 RPM drive has two platters.

    -Chris[/QUOTE]

    My comment was "High density on the disk is a big factor plus the 60Gb is a
    single platter drive." the "10 times" info was another contributor.

    You are quite right about the Travelstar 7K60 having 2 disks. For some
    reason I thought that I read that it had 1 disk.

    Here's the data from Hitachi's web site:

    Capacity of 60GB 7200 RPM ATA-6 hard disk drive.

    Areal densities of up to 50Gbits/sq. inch, yielding up to 30 GB of capacity
    per disk
    The latest laminated Antiferromagnetically-coupled (AFC) media, known as
    "pixie dust"
    Hitachi GST, first drive maker to implement the new Femto Slider: utilized
    for improved shock resistance, disk storage capacity, and reduced power
    consumption
    An operational shock rating of up to 200Gs at (2ms)

    Chas.

    verktyg, Jan 21, 2004
  19. Eyman

    FulanoDeTal Guest

    Can't remember... old age. Was hoping someone might have seen it. Or
    rather hoping I was wrong, because I'd like to get one if I can scrape
    the money together. I'm running a 60 x 5400 in a ThinkPad A31p right
    now, and would like to get another 60 to clone.

    FulanoDeTal, Jan 21, 2004
  20. Eyman

    verktyg Guest

    The performance increase was enough to save me from buying a new TP T40 or
    T41!

    Also, I installed the Intel .INF file update version 2.80.010a.

    Chas.

    verktyg, Jan 22, 2004