Q: A7N8X Deluxe and SATA Drivers Bluescreening Norton Ghost

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Eyman, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Eyman

    Eyman Guest

    Hi,

    Ive got a A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.0 board with a 1005 bios on a WindowsXP Home
    system.

    The system is stable but my problem is that Norton Ghost does not seem to
    like the Silicon Image serial ATA drivers and the system bluescreens with
    "an invalid page fault" listing the "SI3112A.inf" file as the guilty
    culprit.

    I can do an image backup with Ghost with the Asus supplied SATA drivers
    (1.0.2.2) but upon reboot I get a bluescreen due to the SATA drivers.

    The other newer Silicon Image SATA drivers (both 1.0.3.3 and 1.0.4.7)
    bluescreen the system when Norton Ghost is started within windows.

    Has anyone else experienced this, or can anyone help overcoming this
    problem?

    Thanks in advance

    Eyman

    Eyman, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Eyman

    Minotaur Guest

    Well it isn't designed to run in Windows, thats if it is Ghost.exe, that
    only runs in DOS.
    The Ghost Explorer application is fine however, it's designed for Windows.
    Best bet would be to make your own DOS boot disk, with Ghost (only need the
    ghost.exe and a few config files).
    You can get boot disks from www.bootdisk.com that should be suitable, you
    shall just have to modify them,
    copy over Ghost and add the SATA drivers yourself to the config.

    I always use a Ghost boot disk here now to do the back-ups, at least I know
    it works.
    Don't know what Symantec was thinking, get them to use Ghost in Windows and
    expect them to also boot
    to Windows to use Ghost to restore Windows if it failes? Sounds like it came
    from Marketing that concept...

    Cheer's Minotaur

    Minotaur, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Eyman

    Eyman Guest

    Hi,

    Is there a reason for running the .29 drivers?
    the asus supplied .22 and the silicon image .33 seem to be final, but the
    silicon image .47 seem to be beta.
    also the .29 dont seem to be availiable from asus or silicon image. are the
    ..29 drivers the uber drivers that need to be used with the uber bios?
    thanks

    Eyman

    Eyman, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Eyman

    Nom Guest

    The .29s tend to be the quickest, and most stable.
    Try em yourself if you don't believe me :)
    The .29 drivers will work with any BIOS version, any SATA version, any
    number of drives, whether in RAID or not, etc. etc.
    I have no idea why they aren't on the Silicon Image site - they were on
    there at one point !

    Nom, Jul 4, 2003
  5. Eyman

    Ron Miller Guest

    Nom,
    Have you tried the SI-supplied .33 drivers for comparison to the .29?
    If you did and returned to the .29, what problems did you encounter
    with the .33's?

    Ron

    Ron Miller, Jul 4, 2003
  6. Eyman

    Nom Guest

    Nope.
    But plenty of other folks have, and the general concensus is that the .29s
    are the best.

    I've personally found the .29s to be 100% stable, and hence I won't change
    to another version without good reason.

    Nom, Jul 7, 2003