    - 2 fans in PSU.

    Thanks in advance

    Eyman

    Eyman, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Eyman

    AJ Guest

    In Probe mine never goes above 44C. That's with a Volcano 11+ HSF.
    _________________________
    French Connection:
    http://www.metrospy.com/boycott_brands.htm

    AJ, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Eyman

    Rob Guest

    Eyman,
    I would venture to say that those high readings are not the ones you
    want to use. Most likely the sensor setups are out of whack. They
    should be matched up as:
    CPU Diode=W83L785TS-S Diode
    Socket=Asus 1
    Case=Asus 2
    This should make better sense, unless your operating in a steam plant! LOL!

    Rob

    P.S. This article with it's .ini file, from nForce HQ, will help get it
    all setup

    Rob, Jan 23, 2004
  4. What's the room temperature ?

    Roughly, if it raises of 10°C in summer, you'll have to add 10 °C to the CPU
    die (internal diode). 70 °C is too much in idle. That temp can be sustained
    for minutes during heavy CPU usage but not the whole day.

    It should be preferable to have around 51/52 °C for a room temperature of
    20/22 °C.

    How do you monitor the temperature ?
    Mother board Monitor ? If yes and properly configured, the temp is probably
    the CPU die and correct.
    If Asus Probe, since it monitors the CPU socket you've to add around 8 °C
    more. The resulting CPU temp will definitely be too high.

    The big problem with the MoBos comes from the chipset. Its temperature may
    be greater than the CPU's one. In general it heats the CPU ! ! !
    A good heat extractor facing the chipset widely improves the whole
    situation. Dunno where your fans are located and how they participate to
    draw the heat flow.

    Large fans not correctly placed might lead to the opposite way you want, ie.
    they may blow hot air on the CPU !

    Hunt the hot spots.

    Gino Zantafio, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Asus Probe doesn't monitor the CPU die temperature. It reads the socket
    sensor around 9 to 11 °C below.
    Just add this value to Probe reading and you'll have the die temp. Of course
    this is far of accurate. Better to install Mother Board Monitor and
    configure it to read the CPU internal diode. Everything is explained on the
    Internet page http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    Gino Zantafio, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Eyman

    AndrewJ Guest

    Yeah thanks but both boards run 24/7 at 100% CPU load for over 6
    months. So I don't really see the need for another utility. I did try
    to load MBM once and it crashed my system really bad.
    __________
    If you give a little they give a lot.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

    AndrewJ, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Eyman

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Eyman

    Paul Guest

    If that case temperature is for real, that would be your problem.
    The delta between case temp and CPU temp isn't that bad, so if you
    can get the case temp to drop a bit, that should help. Maybe
    you have an FX5900 or an ATI 9800 video card in there as well ?
    Something must be filling that case with heat. My wimpy computers
    here, operate with the case temp listed as 25C or 26C. 37C
    implies either the power density inside that volume of air is
    too large, or, more likely, the airflow inside the case is
    arrested by stuff in the cooling path.

    Try operating the computer with the side panel removed. If the
    CPU and motherboard temperatures drop, you need to modify
    your case cooling strategy.

    Also, as PC power supplies are only 65 to 70% efficient, check the
    temperature of the casing on the power supply - if it is burning
    hot, then that can add to the heat load inside the computer. Many
    PC power supplies don't spin their fans fast enough, considering
    the temperatures inside the power supply.

    If you are using an acoustic lining inside the case, to dampen
    noise, then remove it. Acoustic mats seem to insulate the case
    and arrest airflow.

    I believe occasionally when people purchase an Athlon, they
    get one with excessive current consumption. But there is no
    way to prove such a theory (easily). You would need a
    clamp-on DC ammeter to check out that theory, and measure
    the current in the +12V wires from PS to motherboard.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Eyman

    Eyman Guest

    I forgot to mention its summer here in Sydney Australia and the outdoor
    temps are about 30 degrees and the room temps are about 25 degrees.

    Also heat contributing hardware might be 2 x SATA drives and a 9600 Pro.

    Eyman

    Eyman, Jan 23, 2004