    good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
    monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
    the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

    Rafi in San Diego, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Rafi in San Diego

    DanO Guest

    Hook up the case fans to the Antec TruePower FAN-ONLY connector. You can
    connect all four to that wire, just piggyback a couple of them if needed.
    You'll be amazed at how quiet your system will be.

    Q-Fan on my Asus P4 MB's only controls the CPU fan speed. Not sure about
    the A7N8X series...

    DanO, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Rafi in San Diego

    Darkfalz Guest

    > I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
    > Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
    > to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
    > TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
    > temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
    > good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
    > monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
    > the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

    Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.

    Darkfalz, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Rafi in San Diego

    crypto Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <>
    wrote:

    >"Rafi in San Diego" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
    >> Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
    >> to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
    >> TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
    >> temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
    >> good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
    >> monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
    >> the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

    >Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.

    Slight correction.

    Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
    built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
    has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
    for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
    fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
    control.

    crypto, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Rafi in San Diego

    Darkfalz Guest

    "crypto" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Rafi in San Diego" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm putting together a system with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe in an Antec
    > >> Plus 1080 Case wtih TruePower supply. I have four case fans and want
    > >> to know the best way to hook them up, as both the ASUS and the
    > >> TruePower have the ability to control fan speed according to
    > >> temperature. I've heard, from yet another "expert", that it's not a
    > >> good idea to mix fan speed control methods. The Antec method will only
    > >> monitor 3 fans; the Q-fan on the ASUS even fewer. So, what to do with
    > >> the four case fans? Thank you very much for any help!!

    > >Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.
    > >

    > Slight correction.
    >
    > Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
    > built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
    > has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
    > for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
    > fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
    > control.

    Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.

    Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
    without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the coldest
    days.

    Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when it's
    not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
    ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
    it's just lower than it would be).

    I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
    controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.

    Darkfalz, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Rafi in San Diego

    Ed Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:23:53 +1000, "Darkfalz" <>
    wrote:

    >"crypto" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Rafi in San Diego" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.
    >> >

    >> Slight correction.
    >>
    >> Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
    >> built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
    >> has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
    >> for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
    >> fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
    >> control.

    >Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.
    >
    >Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
    >without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the coldest
    >days.
    >
    >Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when it's
    >not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
    >ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
    >it's just lower than it would be).
    >
    >I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
    >controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.

    If Q-fan is set low enough it's very possible a thermal fan *will* stop
    spinning and not start up again.

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Rafi in San Diego

    Darkfalz Guest

    "Ed" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:23:53 +1000, "Darkfalz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"crypto" <> wrote in message

    only

    with

    > >> Slight correction.
    > >>
    > >> Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
    > >> built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
    > >> has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
    > >> for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
    > >> fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
    > >> control.

    > >Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.
    > >
    > >Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
    > >without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the

    coldest
    > >days.
    > >
    > >Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when

    it's
    > >not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
    > >ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
    > >it's just lower than it would be).
    > >
    > >I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
    > >controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.
    > >

    > If Q-fan is set low enough it's very possible a thermal fan *will* stop
    > spinning and not start up again.

    More bollocks. Mine is set on the lowest (11/16) and has never stopped
    spinning.

    Darkfalz, Apr 25, 2004
  8. Rafi in San Diego

    Outback Jon Guest

    Darkfalz wrote:
    > More bollocks. Mine is set on the lowest (11/16) and has never stopped
    > spinning.

    Well, that's the lowest with the BIOS that Asus has released. I can set
    mine lower. As low as 1/16 I believe...

    But for the incredibly minor change in noise, I don't bother - The other
    three case fans make just as much noise anyway....

    --
    "Outback" Jon Gould | Let those who RIDE,
    2003 Kawasaki Concours (wreck)|
    | HELMET LAWS SUCK
    CQ CQ CQ de KC2BNE |
    ______________________________|____________________________
    AMD XP 2400+ @ 2105 MHz 768M PC2100 DDR @ 280 MHz
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 120GB and 40GB Maxtor HD
    Asus GeForceFX 5600 (330/650) Cornerstone 21" Monitor
    Sony 52x40x52 CDRW NEC MultiSync 17" Monitor
    Sony 8X DVD+-RW Nostromo n50 Speedpad
    http://folding.stanford.edu - got folding? Team 33432

    Outback Jon, Apr 25, 2004
  9. Rafi in San Diego

    Darkfalz Guest

    "Outback Jon" <> wrote in message
    > Darkfalz wrote:
    > > More bollocks. Mine is set on the lowest (11/16) and has never stopped
    > > spinning.

    > Well, that's the lowest with the BIOS that Asus has released. I can set
    > mine lower. As low as 1/16 I believe...
    >
    > But for the incredibly minor change in noise, I don't bother - The other
    > three case fans make just as much noise anyway....

    In the summer it was going at 5500 rpms all day, you could hear it from the
    next room. Completely pointless too, as it seems to be controlled by the
    ambient temperature, not the CPU temperature, which wasn't going to get any
    cooler considering it was already over 30 C in my room.

    Darkfalz, Apr 25, 2004
  10. Rafi in San Diego

    JB Guest

    "Darkfalz" <> wrote in message
    > "crypto" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:29 +1000, "Darkfalz" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >"Rafi in San Diego" <> wrote in message

    only

    > > >Q-Fan is only for your thermally controlled CPU fan.
    > > >

    > > Slight correction.
    > >
    > > Q-Fan is ONLY for CPU fans that do NOT have any thermal controls
    > > built in like the stock Intel fans have in them. If the fan already
    > > has a temp control built in then do not use Q-Fan. Yes, it only works
    > > for the CPU fan and you can use the Antec fan connectors for your case
    > > fans. I only use it for the 2 rear fans as my front fan has it's own
    > > control.

    > Wrong, and you're a real moron for giving this advice.
    >
    > Q-Fan works EXCELLENTLY with my thermally controlled P4 fan. In fact,
    > without Q-Fan my system would be distractingly noisy on any but the

    coldest
    > days.
    >
    > Without Q-Fan it is WAY too agressive, going up to 4000-5500 RPMs when

    it's
    > not even that hot in the case. All Q-Fan does is throttle it down to some
    > ratio of what it otherwise would be (so that it still thermally adjusts,
    > it's just lower than it would be).
    >
    > I don't know where it got out that you shouldn't use Q-Fan with thermally
    > controlled fans, but the person needs to be shot.

    My P4S533 board will not source enough current to drive an Intel hsf full
    speed. Another fan that required even less power than the Intel produced
    the same result.

    Perhaps your board has a similar problem. In that case it would be quiet
    with Q-fan regardless of how hot the cpu gets. And if your hsf is the
    factory-furnished Intel, it's temperature controller could be defective or
    overidden.

    I run the Intel hsf off the main harness and it is always quiet. The only
    time I hear it is when I slow the case fans and the Intel fan speeds up due
    to the temperature increase.

    JB, Apr 25, 2004
  11. Rafi in San Diego

    Chris Guest

    Don't bother with Q-fan on the A7N8X-E Deluxe. I can't figure out what
    sensor controls it, but it's not the CPU thermal Diode. The board may not
    even be capable of measuring the diode. Q-fan may work off the case temp
    sensor or the socket sensor. I tried setting up Q-fan with the stock AMD
    heatsink and a better fan and the fan speed didn't increase at all. The CPU,
    however, got hot enough to cause errors. You're best bet may be a
    heatsink/fan with a temp probe that goes on the CPU. As for the other fans,
    letting the PSU control them is probably good. I opted for a manual fan
    controller.

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 29, 2004
  12. Rafi in San Diego

    Ed Guest

    controls
    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:07:15 GMT, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >Don't bother with Q-fan on the A7N8X-E Deluxe. I can't figure out what
    >sensor controls it, but it's not the CPU thermal Diode. The board may not
    >even be capable of measuring the diode. Q-fan may work off the case temp
    >sensor or the socket sensor. I tried setting up Q-fan with the stock AMD
    >heatsink and a better fan and the fan speed didn't increase at all. The CPU,
    >however, got hot enough to cause errors. You're best bet may be a
    >heatsink/fan with a temp probe that goes on the CPU. As for the other fans,
    >letting the PSU control them is probably good. I opted for a manual fan
    >controller.

    On my "A7N8X" v2.00, Q-Fan works off the socket temp, the BIOS reports
    the cpu diode temp and Asus pc probe displays the socket temp!
    What a mess! If you want to see the CPU diode temp in Windows try MBM5
    or SpeedFan.

    I just started using SpeedFan and so far it working great on my A7N8X,
    now if I could just control the cpu vcore and MHz on the fly like
    AMD64's Id have cool and quite too! ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 29, 2004
  13. Rafi in San Diego

    Chris Guest

    MBM5 won't report the diode temp either. The A7N8X-E Deluxe uses a different
    hardware monitor chip. The author of MBM5 says he can't find any way
    possible to read the diode. Speedfan doesn't work either, in fact it locks
    up the computer.

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 30, 2004
  14. Rafi in San Diego

    Ed Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:01:37 GMT, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >MBM5 won't report the diode temp either. The A7N8X-E Deluxe uses a different
    >hardware monitor chip. The author of MBM5 says he can't find any way
    >possible to read the diode. Speedfan doesn't work either, in fact it locks
    >up the computer.

    Huh bummer! IOW why Asus changed it on the -E, maybe there is something
    wrong with the ABS100 chip on these boards? The health monitoring on my
    A7N8X isn't exactly that good, compared to 3 other (non-asus) boards I
    have it's the worst but then again it's the best in stability and
    performance, ya win some, ya loose some I guess? ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 30, 2004