Q: IBM TP 309E or 390X - mini-PCI slot...modem...other devices useable?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Elwood P Dodd, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Hello all.

    I am considering the purchase of an IBM Thinkpad model 390E or 390X
    -series laptop...2626-xxx

    I've looked into the Hardware Maintenance Manual for both models...and
    the modem in these manuals is listed as a PCI modem....photos of
    these modems look to be 124-pin Type III mini-PCI cards.

    After much searching...without finding a clear cut answer...

    My question is this:

    Is the mini-PCI-appearing slot for the modem in these laptops *really*
    a mini-PCI format slot?

    Can I use other devices in the slot...such as 10/100 LAN or LAN modem
    combos...od wireless cards?...anyone done this yet?

    Any info or insight on this matter...greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Elwood P Dodd, Sep 14, 2005