    Those parts I lived in (largely metricated by 1974) certainly were.
    Europe wouldn't work unless everyone was on the same page. (The UK is
    only pretending to be part of Europe.)

    toby, Jan 17, 2009

  2. yeah, that's it, they just use random fittings.

    Cydrome Leader, Jan 17, 2009

  3. Kosta Xonis

    krw Guest

    And old nails meet new rapidly moving plane blade.

    krw, Jan 17, 2009
  4. Kosta Xonis

    Stan Barr Guest

    I dismantled a Japanese car heater (to get a 12V motor) and all the screws
    were British BA sizes, I presume some small Japanese workshop tooled up
    with British tools way back and was still using them in the '70s.

    Didn't the Russians have a 88.9mm rocket launcher? (88.9mm = 3.5 inches)

    Stan Barr, Jan 17, 2009
  5. Kosta Xonis

    jmfbahciv Guest

    I didn't know that. Kewl!

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jan 17, 2009
  6. Kosta Xonis

    jmfbahciv Guest

    <snip>

    the width of those saws is not small.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jan 17, 2009
  7. Kosta Xonis

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Couldn't you have used a magnet to find them?

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jan 17, 2009
  8. OFF TOPIC?????

    Warren Steffen, Jan 17, 2009
  9. OFF TOPIC??? Give it a rest!!

    Warren Steffen, Jan 17, 2009
  10. Chill out and wait for the crosspost to die down a.f.c is always
    like this.

    Steve O'Hara-Smith, Jan 17, 2009
  11. Kosta Xonis

    Mensanator Guest

    There can be advantages in tooling your weapons
    to be able to use the enemy's ammunition.

    Mensanator, Jan 17, 2009
  12. Kosta Xonis

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    Sorry, you'll find that around here threads drift with no rudder
    whatever.

    Besides, if alcoholic beverages aren't relevant to old computer geeks
    *nothing* is.

    Joe Pfeiffer, Jan 17, 2009
  13. Kosta Xonis

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    When I was a student intern at Weyerhaeuser in 1978-1979, I was
    involved in some of the earliest research to apply computer
    optimization to sawmill operations. It was a pretty cool place to be;
    *anything* we did, we'd be the first ones in the world doing it.

    Joe Pfeiffer, Jan 17, 2009
  14. Kosta Xonis

    krw Guest

    A show on one of the cable channels showed a modern mill in operation,
    front to back. The logs are measured and inventoried coming in, then
    pulled and cut according to the dynamic demand. ...all controlled by
    one guy sitting at a toob.

    krw, Jan 17, 2009
  15. Kosta Xonis

    krw Guest

    Shove it. Kill the thread, if you're that strung out.

    krw, Jan 17, 2009
  16. Kosta Xonis

    krw Guest

    The trick is to design your weapons to be able to use the enemy's
    ammunition, but not the reverse.

    krw, Jan 17, 2009
  17. Iffen I put that much work into a place, I'd like it to look new.

    Walter Bushell, Jan 17, 2009
  18. Kosta Xonis

    Mensanator Guest

    Not use your own ammunition?

    Mensanator, Jan 17, 2009
  19. Kosta Xonis

    Joe Morris Guest

    I suspect that would be a good description of the early work experience for
    lots of the afc readership (and I suspect it holds true for cssh readers as
    well). My first full-time, full-year computer job started in 1967 (after
    being a part-time programmer for three years) when I was part of a small
    group of 20-something geeks that were in effect running a multi-million
    dollar university computer center. The director was an operations research
    type and made not pretense of knowing how to run the systems; he saw his job
    as getting us the money we needed and keeping the faculty off of our backs;
    we were left to run the center as we thought best.

    The point here is that there were no "old-timers" to tell us how to run the
    place, and developing the skills to run the place were pretty much OJT, with
    a huge amount of mutual hand-holding between the staffs of computer centers
    across the country, often with complete disregard of the fact that many of
    the centers belonged to companies that were competitors...and a lot of the
    work done was quite definitely "first time".

    I'll immediately concede that we didn't get everything right; some of the
    practices would today be considered firing offences, but we learned from our
    mistakes. Usually.

    Joe Morris

    Joe Morris, Jan 17, 2009
  20. Been done already, but not sure it was design or accident. AK47 & M14.

    bill

    Bill Gunshannon, Jan 17, 2009