Q: Is the SC743S1-645 case

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by daytripper, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    I'm putting together my next workstation and as my current Supermicro X5DAE
    (dual 2.8g Prestonia) triple-head (Matrox Parhelia AGP) system has never, ever
    had an unplanned outage (no BSODs, no Explorer dirt-naps, no power or thermal
    fails, no anything!) I'm sticking with the same brands for the next one.

    So I'm going to use the Supermicro X6DA8-G2 board
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7525/X6DA8-G2.cfm

    in an SC743S1-645 case.
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743S1-645.cfm

    with one of these, in case anyone's interested:
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/media_center/press_rel/2005/matrox_qid_lp_pcie.cfm

    driving three 21" tubes.

    It's the case I'm wondering about.

    Living with an SC762 case
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/tower/760/SC762-420.cfm
    for the last 2 years has been "special" ;-) The case itself was fine, but the
    power supply is a loud sonofabeeyotch, and I'd sure like to avoid that this
    time around.

    So I thought I'd at least ask: has anyone been near enough to an SC743S1-645
    or similar case to know if the power supply they use is in fact "low noise"?
    (in an absolute sense - even my SC762 is "low noise" compared to a 747 ;-)

    Thanks for any real-life experiences...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Feb 21, 2005