Q: KD7-RAID MB Boots OK With CPU Set As XP2600/266 But Not As XP2600/333. CPU Is XP2600/333. Any Sug

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Kim Archer, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Kim Archer

    Kim Archer Guest

    Hi All.

    I have a KD7-RAID MB and I have just installed an XP2600/333 CPU. With the
    Soft-Menu set to 2600/266 the machine boots fine but if I set it to 2600/333
    the machine may not boot. I have found that by restarting the machine and
    pressing the reset button after a couple of seconds it will boot as
    2600/333. This is a bit of a pain as it does not always work and if it fails
    more than a couple of times I end up with the default 1250MHz settings.

    The CPU is a genuine XP2600/333 and I have a pair of Crucial 512Meg DDR2700
    CL2.5 DIMMs installed. The BIOS settings are default (no turbo/enhanced
    options selected) and the memory timings are set by SPD, I have tried
    booting with just the one DIMM installed but this made no difference. The
    last time I saw this type of problem was when I had an OverClocked Duron
    running in a KT7 (800 clocked to 1000) but the power up & reset worked
    everytime with that one, not so with this one.

    Any Ideas??? Kim.
    Birmingham. UK.

    Kim Archer, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Kim Archer

    David Guest

    Have you tried slowing the memory setting to CL 3?

    David, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Kim Archer

    Kim Archer Guest

    David

    I have altered the CAS to 3 and I still have the reboot problem. However,
    the reset trick seems to work more reliably as I have only had to do it once
    rather than several times.

    As the MB, Memory & CPU are all at their default settings it really should
    boot first time with the CAS set to 2.5. There are various driving strength
    settings associated with the Memory options and I wondered if increasing
    these might improve the situation. But without any guidelines to follow I
    have not attempted to adjust these.

    Many thanks for the advice. Kim.
    Birmingham. UK.

    PS I should have said that with CAS set to 2.5 although I have problems
    booting the machine once booted it is stable and runs without any problems.

    Kim Archer, Oct 5, 2003