[Q] Mac OS X on last generation iMac CRT

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Anony-mouse, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    Has anyone tried using Mac OS X 10.4 on the last of the iMac CRT
    machines??

    We've got three blue iMac CRTs that we want to upgrade the OS on. These
    were the last models which were on sale at the same time as the first
    of the iMac LCD G4 machines, so I think they're 700MHz G3's
    (unfortunately I don't have one here to check) and only have the
    minimum 256MB RAM.

    They seem to run fine on 10.0 that came with them, but of course much
    has changed sine then (which is part of the reason for wanting to
    upgrade them). I was wondering if 10.4 would run fast enough for normal
    use or would it be better to try and get 10.3 from somewhere.

    Any experience you can share would be appreciated.

    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

    Anony-mouse, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Anony-mouse

    Malcolm Guest

    Be sure to update the firmware before you update OSX. 10.4 should run
    faster than 10.0 but you should get more memory.

    Malcolm, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Tiger works fine on weaker machines than a G3/700, but I don't think I'd
    enjoy running it on any 256MB machine.

    Gregory Weston, Jun 29, 2005
  4. i'm running tiger on a old imac dv, so 400mhz G3 which is as fast as
    pather. its fine, but it does have 1Gb of ram which helps, and i'd
    sugest you source some for your imac, as 256 isn't really going to be
    nice. areas that suffer are graphic heavy areas such as dashboard and
    expose but other than that pather/tiger work fine.

    roger

    Roger Merriman, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like it should be alright, if
    perhaps a little slow, but we're not doing anything more complex than
    mostly simply word processing and email.

    The one iMac G5 seems happy enough, if a little slow at times, with
    only 256MB. Unfortunately 256MB is what they'll be stuck with, at least
    for a while - we're a non-profit organisation that relies on grants and
    donations.

    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \

    Anony-mouse, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Anony-mouse

    Ilgaz Ocal Guest

    Hi,

    You may try "mac wanted" newsgroups explaining your organization, there
    are many people like me doesn't know what to do with left over rams etc.

    If I wasn't in Istanbul :)

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Ocal, Jul 1, 2005