    patch, work around or whatever?

    greetings,
    burkie

    burkhard pranke, Dec 2, 2003

  2. burkhard pranke

    TV Slug Guest

    Can't help you on disabling plug-n-play, but you CAN do something else. Let
    the port install with the exclamation point, then go into system properties,
    select the device, and check the "disable in this hardware profile" box.

    TV Slug, Dec 2, 2003

  3. i tried that as well. still doesn´t work....

    burkie:-(

    burkhard pranke, Dec 2, 2003
  4. burkhard pranke

    Shep© Guest

    Are you sure you have disabled the port in the BIOS.Make sure you
    disable the parallel port option if you are not using it.Also check
    the manual to see if any on board jumpers may need to be set to
    disable it?
    Also boot to Safemode as per,

    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
    and Control Panel/Add Remove Programs list and remove any printer
    software if there is any.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 2, 2003
  5. burkhard pranke

    Eric Guest

    I don't know if this will help, but have you tried setting PNP OS Installed
    to "No" in the bios?

    Eric

    Eric, Dec 3, 2003
  6. yep. and still windows finds devices by plug and play... (i.e. it still
    installs that ECP port incorrectly)

    burkie:-(

    burkhard pranke, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Can you set the LPT port to Bi-directional or standard or something
    other than ECP?

    <<CDC

    Christopher D. Clausen, Dec 4, 2003
  8. doesn´t matter what i choose in the BIOS: EPP, SPP or disabled, all the
    same result: windows 98 SE finds it, installs, my soundcard and chessmaster
    don´t work.

    burkie

    burkhard pranke, Dec 4, 2003
  9. This could be a problem with the DMA channels used by each. Can you
    reserve specific DMA channels for your soundcard? Or at least choose
    which one the LPT port uses?

    <<CDC

    Christopher D. Clausen, Dec 4, 2003
  10. how can i do this?

    burkie

    burkhard pranke, Dec 8, 2003
  11. From your computer's BIOS? If you can't, you can't.

    You might also be able to use Windows and Plug and Play to change the
    DMA channel. Try looking through various options from Device Manager in
    the Control Pannel.

    <<CDC

    Christopher D. Clausen, Dec 8, 2003
  12. thanks to everybody. i disabled the thing thru control panel and now both
    soundcard and chessprogramme decided to work. strange computer.

    burkie:)

    burkhard pranke, Dec 26, 2003
  13. burkhard pranke

    olly

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cov (UK)
    Navigate to "Device Manager" & find the ECP printer port you where on about, open the property window and select disable. does this sort out ur problem?

    olly, Mar 27, 2007