    I want to make sure that this would work, I do not want to destroy anything!

    Any comments?

    Thanks

    A. Toprak, Sep 14, 2004

  2. A. Toprak

    Arno Wagner Guest

    What kind of graphics card? The problem is that most modern monitors
    expect at least VGA refresh rates, i.e. 31.5kHz horizontal and
    60Hz vertical refresh rate. If they get less, most should not be
    damaged, but you never know. They will not give you a good image
    though. The computer should not be in any danger.

    If your adapter is actually very old color (CGA) then you
    might be out of luck, as this uses 15kHz/60Hz television frequency.
    Most modern monitors cannot handle that. I think the same is true
    for MGA and Hercules.

    EGA timing is 25kHz/??, still too low for most modern monitors, but
    you might get a readable image.

    VGA timing is 31.5kHz/60Hz, any modern monitor can handle that.

    Why not try to get an old ISA-bus VGA card from a scap-pile
    somewhere? It should work with a new monitor.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 14, 2004

  3. A. Toprak

    A. Toprak Guest

    After posting this, I did a bit more research and finding out that the
    monochrome card may be meant for a digital monitor. (Currently a ZYNK
    SM1411 is being used with this PC. I cannot find out if this is a
    digital monitor or not.) If this is the case, an adapter alone won't
    do.

    A. Toprak, Sep 15, 2004
  4. A. Toprak

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Actually the "digital" means it has three output values:
    on/off in one line and medium/bright in another (intensity").
    You can mix them together to get a reasonable image. Might need
    a powered adapter with some TTL circuitry though.

    Is this intended for someone to actually work with for a longer time?
    If not, you could also just connect the video line to green and red and
    the intensity line to blue (or so). Not ergonomic, but well
    recognizable.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 15, 2004
  5. A. Toprak

    J. Clarke Guest

    If you're talking about the original IBM Black and White adapter or the
    Hercules Monochrome Board then don't bet on any current-production monitor
    working with it. You may get a pleasant surprise but don't count on it.

    J. Clarke, Sep 16, 2004