    Solidworks, etc.

    Thanks.
    RM.

    RM, May 15, 2004

  2. RM

    johns Guest

    Solidworks gave all of those cards a crappy rating.
    I'm running SW in my CAD labs on a Gigabyte mobo
    ... the 533 series ... with an integrated video card.
    8 video ram / 128 meg system ram used when needed.
    Solidworks runs fine. I've seen SW run on an ATI
    9600XT, and I don't see any real gain in anything at
    all. I've dl'd a bunch of the posted projects from the
    Solidworks web site, and all of them run fine on my
    systems. I certainly would not go put big money into
    video cards just to run Engineering Graphics projects.
    They are just not there yet .. maybe someday. I think
    this is a bad habit in the Engineering community .. of
    overstating their case. Researchers here go out and
    buy dual Xeons at a whopping price because somebody
    at a company said that their software needed the big
    guns. A dual Xeon can out perform my little Gigabyte
    boards by about 25 percent ... and that is with maybe
    a half-million variables in their equations. Otherwise,
    these $600 computers run dead even with the Xeons.
    Believe me when I tell you the Gamers are the only
    ones who need this power right now ... and we could
    use more :)

    johns

    johns, May 16, 2004