Q: Why are OS 9.2 (Classic) Extensions Showing a Different Icon and Opening with a different App?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Otto Pylot, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    I know the question is a little vague but I couldn't think of another
    way to phrase it in the subject line. Basically, this is what's
    happened.

    My son bought Warcraft III and has been playing it for some time. He
    started having problems lately such as the inability to access
    battle.net, which he was able to do before. What I noticed is that
    quite a few of the extensions in the OS 9.2 folder (ATI, QuickTIme,etc)
    had Warcraft III icons on them even though they were correctly named
    (QuickTime 3D Rave as an example). Opening Get Info, the extension said
    that Warcraft III was the default app to open it up with. Like I said,
    this has happened on quite a few extensions none of which seem to be
    related. What is happening and how do I tell which app is the correct
    one to open up the extension with? Is QuickTime the correct app to
    open up the QuickTime 3D Rave or should it be <none>. BTW, I can't seem
    to figure out how to tell the extension to open with <none>. Other
    apps seem to be ok but why and how did this happen and how can I
    correct it? The computer is a relatively new MDD 1.25DP running 10.3.
    I've run Disk Utility and all premissions were ok for both Panther and
    Classic. Everything else seems to be fine. Oh yeah, I have a second HD
    installed which has a virgin Panther OS on it. I use this as an
    emergency bootdrive in case something happens to my primary drive. The
    extension problem in that Classic folder has the same odd problem that
    my primary drive has. Weird huh? Any advice and guidance would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Otto Pylot, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Otto Pylot

    Bloomite Guest

    Can you boot into OS 9 and try rebuilding the desktop for starters?

    Bloomite, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    Thankyou both. I did that and all is well. Now, how and why did it
    happen? What exactly does "open with" do when it's set to a different
    default app other than <none>?

    Otto Pylot, Apr 24, 2004
  4. It tells the OS to associate files with that creator code with a
    particular application. This association is used to determine the
    file's icon (from a resource in the application) and to launch the
    application when the file is double-clicked.

    Barry Margolin, Apr 24, 2004