    any recommendations on the router? Ease of setup/security control?

    TIA,
    -Mark

    Mark Bray, May 10, 2004

  2. you are correct, buying a 'g' router will provide no utility to your since
    you have a 'b' card in your laptop. i would even go as far as to say that a
    'g' router would provide little utility even if you had a 'g' card... the
    only advantage is if you are trasfering files from one computer on your
    wireless network to another... but as for surfing, it adds nothing as your
    internet connection is musch slower than what a 'b' router is capable of
    transmitting... i like linksys and netgear, but there are plenty of other
    good products out there as well. the netgear 'b' router mr814 is just $30
    after rebate from amazon...

    Christopher Muto, May 10, 2004

  3. Mark Bray

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Agreed to all that's in the post. However, I would add DLink to the list,
    as I've experienced good things with their products as well. I would also
    compare prices between the "b" and "g" routers.

    I purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router (802.11g) from newegg.com just a
    couple of weeks ago. My logic was that for the $10 more than the comparable
    'b" DLink, it would pay for itself in the long haul as standards naturally
    progress. The owner is not even using the wireless feature now, but will
    likely buy a notebook in a year or so ( along with a "g" card). (Here at the
    house I have a hard-wired DLink DI-604 that's performed admirably.)

    Netgear, Linksys, and DLink all make a solid product.

    Good luck.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 10, 2004
  4. Mark Bray

    snoopy Guest

    I do not recommend Linksys anymore after my last experience with their "g"
    wireless router and PCI "g" card. Signal strength was poor (70-80%), even
    close (6 feet!) and on the same floor level. Connectivity was not stable on
    different floors.

    I used Netgear wireless router and card and got great connectivity even on
    different floors.

    YMMV

    snoopy, May 10, 2004
  5. I think a G router would provide utility to him in the form of better
    security. There are few B routers out there that offer WPA whereas many, if
    not most of the G routers do, and the 1150 is compatible with WPA-PSK using
    the latest drivers IIRC.

    Shiranui Gen-An, May 11, 2004
  6. Mark Bray

    goop Guest

    I used to recommend netgear routers to everyone I knew. i have a netgear
    mr314 wireless b router that works very well.

    Like I said, I used to recommend them. now I no longer do, because
    apparently they no longer offer free tech support. after the first 90 days
    of ownership of the router, you have to pay for support. the only way to
    avoid paying the fee is if there is an actual problem with netgears products
    and they have to send a replacement. even then, they will still charge your
    card and then simply reverse the fee.

    I never call tech support unless there's something wrong that has to be
    fixed through replacement. being forced to pay to talk to someone to issue
    an RMA for something that is still in warranty is unacceptable. If a
    company wants to make up for the costs of its call center, it should roll
    those costs into the price, not force customers to pay for it before their
    warranty period is up.

    goop, May 12, 2004
  7. Mark Bray

    WSZsr Guest

    Most routers are a "no brainer" to set up. Just plug them in and they
    work. Often no need to run the router installation software. I would guess
    that most calls to their tech support are the result of user error. If the
    user would read the manual (RTFM) they would have no need to call tech
    support. I can't fault Netgear. It makes sense.

    WSZsr, May 12, 2004
  8. Mark Bray

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Especially where WinXP is involved, they are ridiculously easy to set up -
    nearly plug and play.

    However, on both DLinks that I've set up, I ran into minor glitches (due to
    my own ignorance) that their support people were able to e-mail suggestions
    and help me solve promptly.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 12, 2004