Quadro 980XGL dilemna - what to replace it with?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Pheasant Plucker®, May 14, 2006.

  1. Hi there,

    I want to replace my trusty Quadro 980XGL with a new, AGP card that will be
    compatible with Vista Aero Glass but which one?

    I do not have a lot of room in the case and had to move one of my HDD's up
    one slot originally to prevent the 980XGL fouling the SATA/power cables to
    one of the drives...

    The new card must be a single slot type - I mean not one of those double
    size backplate jobs with huge fan as I found out the hard way it will not
    fit in my case when this morning I tried to install my new Gainward BLISS
    7800GS+ as the fan housing impacted on one of my hard drives.

    Cost is not really an issue(!) and I do not want to overclock as I need a
    stable system for video editing (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop
    etc.) but I want the best possible card that money can buy - within reason
    of course - I spent just over 300UKP on the Gainward but I would prefer not
    to spend 600UKP on the Quadro FX1100

    Benjamin Gawert suggested a PNY Verto 6600GT (thanks Ben you reading this?
    :)

    Would one of the BFG 6800/7800 GS AGP cards might fit the bill?
    Maybe the XFX ??
    Ultra or Golden Sample-something???

    I am assuming these will perform better than the 6600?

    Should I even stay with NVIDIA?

    What about the ATI cards? <ducking>

    Any advice gratefully appreciated.

    Thanks & regards,
    -=pp=-

    Pheasant Plucker®, May 14, 2006

  2. Pheasant Plucker®

    First of One Guest

    If cost is not really an issue, what prevents you from using a bigger case?
    Is the PSU proprietary?

    I spent about $80 CAD on a Lian-Li PC-6083 case a while ago:
    http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cases/Lian_Li_PC-6083/index.htm
    It's roomy and very easy to work with, and the build quality is impeccable.
    There's enough "depth" that my X1900XT can coexist with the hard drive cage.

    First of One, May 14, 2006