    Or in Quake III itself?

    Any ideas?

    Evan

    Evan, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Evan

    NightSky 421 Guest

    Maybe the refresh rate of your display is changing when you switch to
    1280x1024.

    NightSky 421, Nov 16, 2005

  3. I agree.... I had the same problem when I tried to run Q3 @1600x1200 @60 hz
    with a Samsung 955DF. Make sure your refresh is at least 75.

    Reggie Hillier, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Evan

    Evan Guest

    the 1280x1024 resolution in Windows is perfectly centred, but I suppose
    there's no telling what mode Quake is putting itself into.

    I will explore all the refresh rates and see if any put the image off
    center in Windows.

    Thanks folks.

    PS. Reggie, I used to own the 950P, the model monitor below yours. A
    fantastic CRT if I do say so myself. Cost me $650 CDN in the day
    though!

    Evan, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Yes..,. when I bought the 955 it was $420 Can.
    But just after that I bought a 9700 pro and could not
    use 1600x1200 because of the refresh rate problem so
    I bought a 21" used Dell and play it at [email protected] hz.

    Reggie Hillier, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Forgot to ask.... which monitor are you using ?

    Reggie Hillier, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Evan

    Inglo Guest

    It's always been that way. The menus don't display correctly at 5:4
    (which is the aspect ratio for 1280x1024), usually a game will just
    squish it to fit the 4:3 (1024x768 1600x1200 are 4:3) aspect ratio at
    5:4 but Quake 3 doesn't so the rightmost part of the menus (around 85
    pixels worth) get cut off. But the game itself is fine, it's only the
    menus that are the problems.
    There's no way to fix it except playing at another resolution.
    You can set:
    seta r_customaspect "1"
    seta r_customheight "960"
    seta r_customwidth "1280"
    and
    r_mode -1
    to get quake3 to run at 1280x960 and then you won't have the menu problem.

    Inglo, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Evan

    Spack Guest

    Evan wrote on 16 Nov 2005 15:43:45 -0800:
    Modern monitors tend to store settings for combinations of res + refresh
    rate seperately, so 1280x1024 @ 75hz won't use the same settings as
    1280x1024 @ 60hz. It's likely that your Windows desktop refresh rate is
    different to the Q3 refresh rate.

    Dan

    Spack, Nov 17, 2005
  9. Evan

    Evan Guest

    Currently using a second hand LG Studioworks 775E. LG computer stuff
    has always proved rock steady in my experience.

    The Samsung 950P used to be used with an ATI (proper ATI when they
    built the cards) 8500LE. In 2002, that was the bomb!

    Evan, Nov 18, 2005