    support. Also would appreciate the name and phone number of the Dell sales
    rep if he/she was competent in helping with the computer sale. Thanks for
    any help, Sam.

    Sam, Jul 29, 2010

  2. Sam

    Bob Villa Guest

    If you need to talk to sales...I would get the details (without
    placing the order) and post them here.
    As for Tech Support (for home and not business) in my recent case...it
    was pleasant and thorough, and I received the part the next day.
    In the 5 Dells I have owned this was my only problem I've had and the
    notebook could still be used with a mouse.

    Bob Villa, Jul 30, 2010

  3. Sam

    Daddy Guest

    Most of my experiences with Dell's technical support have been positive.
    I've had a few instances where the support tech didn't know what he was
    talking about, but most of the time they were plenty competent.

    In those few instances where the support rep was way off I was asking a
    highly specific and technical question. I guess you have to give them a
    little slack in a situation like that.

    If you treat these people with respect you will get better service. Keep
    in mind that your support rep didn't design the computer, didn't build
    it and didn't write the software. They're just trying to do their jobs
    and feed their families. They get a lot of abuse (occasionally
    justified) so if you treat them well, they'll try their best for you.

    To give an example: I called to find out what length of SATA cable I
    should buy in order to install my new hard drive without having too much
    cable left over. The rep just sent me a right length SATA cable - no charge.

    Daddy, Jul 30, 2010
  4. Sam

    Lucky Guest

    Precisely why we now by out computers solely based on value.

    The best I can say for Dell is that their Tech Support is better than what
    is provided by Microsoft.

    Up until two years ago, all our computers were Dell.

    No More

    Lucky

    Lucky, Jul 30, 2010
  5. Sam

    Lucky Guest

    Sorry about the typos.

    "we now buy our computers solely based on value."

    Lucky, Jul 30, 2010
  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    TO: Bob, Daddy, and Christopher, many thanks for your informative replies!

    It appears that my neighbor has settled on the Dell Studio XPS 8100 and are
    just waiting for my thoughts before making a purchase. It is a bit of
    overkill for them but they want a very good computer for themselves and
    their grandkids that will last a few years.

    Thanks again for your replies, Sam.

    Sam, Jul 30, 2010